I am looking at complete release process cycle from development team to testing team and testing team to build team and then to the build testing team and then finally to the customers along the release notes.
Release from Dev. team to testing team:
If software is coming for testing for the first time, then release should contain:
- External Specifications
- User manual and
The external specification should contain complete details about the software. Software, manual and online help are checked based on this document.
If software is not coming for first time then release should contain following document(s) along with previous components:
- Bug Status of bugs reported earlier(Closed/Not Found/Deferred etc.)
- List of New functionalities
- Changes made in the software
Release from testing team to dev. team:
After auditing the software, there are two possibilities:
- Software can be released to market or
- it is not in position to be released into market.
In the first case, testing team releases it to dev. team with following documents for closing the bugs:
- Bug Audit Report (containing major issues, environment on which it was tested etc.)
- Bug Report
In the second case, software is forward to production team for production. After this, it is released into market with open bugs (if any :-))
releases are of two types.
1) If company is releasing the software in modules and parts then for each part / module we can say as release. For such type of releases process is different
2) If you have already installed your software and client raise some error , in that case for every error you can semd the solution to which we can say the release.
Which release process you wanted to know ?