SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Points for Confirmed Friends

Inspections and Individual Logging

Hi all,

Currently I am trying to implement an inspection process. Everybody agrees with the advantages reviews bring, but when I ask them to log their issues/defects on a seperate form (instead of on the inspected work product), and that some extra metrics should be collected (timings, etc.) they no longer agree.

For the inspectors, this is additional work, they want to make short notes on the inspected document itself and pass that information to the author. Say an informal review.
    For me (or for the future person responsible of the inspection cycle) the seperate document and metrics may reveal useful information on possible areas for improvement (the form specifies a unique reference, the checklist/rule that is not followed, and a description of the defect).

When I can convince them of the benefits, I'm certain our processes will improve at a faster rate, so I wanted to take the following approach:
    - 'travel light, move fast': the less impact the process has on their overall work, the better.
    - 'what's in it for me': provide some advantages showing that they recieve something in return by filling out a seperate logging.

Any ideas to convince inspectors to gather some extra metrics and to fill out a seperate log are more than welcome!

Regards,
    Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Inspections and Individual Logging

The way I have handled this in the past is to follow Fagan's advice and use a scribe as part of the inspection. The inspectors then don't have to write out the faults, the scribe will write them down as they happen. The added advantage is that if a comment is rejected in the inspection, then it doesn't get recorded. Disadvantage of that, of course, is that you don't then get a metric for number of rejected comments, unless you get the scribe to just count them.

The scribe should make clear what the type of error is, and question the meeting if not clear that the error is one of "Missing", "Wrong" or "Extra", for example.

------------------

Points for Confirmed Friends

Re: Inspections and Individual Logging

Great step ahead.
    But I know a lot of 'inspectors' will argue that this logging meeting is also a waste of time: 'let us just pass our notes to the author'. In fact that's all they want to do.

If these notes are clear and unambiguous, no problem, but everyone has read; or tried to read in each case; 'notes' of collegues. These can be fuzzy, unclear, etc.

In addition the author would recieve a pile of notes which he/she should still evaluate. But for the 'inspector' this should be no problem. 'If they were authors they would be happy to recieve such an annotated document'.

I get the feeling this is more an issue of awareness concerning measurement based improvement. And I know, their job is to get a good working product so they want to do reviews, but nothing more.