Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QA department operating model

hello.

Im trying to come up with a presentation for both senior and mid level managers to explain to them what is QA department operating model looks like. I am not trying to tell them what the test strategy is, but explaining what are the points that they need to consider beyond day to day activities of testing.

What I came up with are several major points that I will be expanding on:

Process and Activities – how do we do what we need to do.
    .What is Efficient and Effective QA looks like.
    .What are our organizational goals
    .How to improve continuously
    .What is the automation target (per application/function)

Organization and people
    .TCoE or Factory or managed service
    .Core and flex teams?
    .Set internal cost targets.
    .What is Efficient and Effective QA looks like.

.What does out location model looks like. Where do we hold, buy or sell.

Management systems and review points.
    .What does our vendor engagement model look like. What is the scope of their work and deliverables
    .Who owns accountability.
    .Steering committee to discuss QA transformation
    .What is the QA/Test team engagement model with BA, DEV, etc.
    .What is our environment management/investment goal
    .What are the SLA’s that we will put forward?
    .What is the governance model

Could you suggest any changes, updates or improvements that I can use for this task? really appreciate this.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I see that long laundry list, and to me it looks like a it'll be a long presentation trying to justify every decision you made as a manager.

I think you want to simplify to 3 topics, across 10 slides.
    * People
    * Process
    * Technology

Also, focus on value you're delivering to the organization. Remember the everyone's favorite radio station is WIIFM. What's In It For Me.

Instead of you explaining why once choice is better than the other, start by explaining how you're delivering value. They'll ask those questions if they are really interested.

For example, you might mention for People that you have 3 pillars. Embedded agile teams to enable testers to work closely with developers, Continual Training to improve productivity and efficiency, and leveraging cross team synergies to cross pollinate best practices. I feel that would be much easier than explaining the Tcoe, core flex teams, what efficient QA looks like. Then answering a whole bunch of questions of why those are needed.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile