Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Software Testing Traning for Developers

Hi all

We have a group of developers in our organziation, who are completely unfmailiar with our testing world. The reason is that their management , the product managers, do not let our agreed quality processes sink in - they do not share the understandings we have with them. in this situation, we have management which is committed to the lifecycle agreed with QA, but when it comes to the sole developer, the work is not delivered in high quality and in most cases,the deveoper does not really understand what QA are doing with his code, leading to poor quality, and not working according to prcedures.

I was thinking how I can have those devleoprs udnerstanding what we in QA are doing. I do not want to conduct a dry presentation where some listen, some dont and everybody goes home and forget what they heard. I was thinknig more in the direction of a workshop , with groups of 2 developers in each workshop.

During this workshop day, the 2 developers will be visiting several "QA Stations" and learing about the activites . for example ,one station will clarify a bug lifecylce, starting the moment it is detected by QA to the moment its fix is released. Another station can show how we work with Mercury Quality Center , another can explain a bit about regression testing and the logic behind it. and so forth.

I think their managers should go through a different training , more high level -like test plan and risk analysis , but as far as the developer is concerend, I do not want to bombard them with big names and concepts. I want to explain to them about quality processes from within -via our daily tasks.

I would be happy to get your opinion on this initiative- do you think it will lead to an actual cultural change with developemtn ? Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks
    Gali

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Software Testing Traning for Developers

We had followed a practice of inducting the developer first in Qa team then moving to Dev team. This way the dev team member gets correct understanding of QA. I am not sure How far it would be feasible in your current setup. But you can think see if this helps

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Software Testing Traning for Developers

Thanks very much. There was once such an attempt in our organization. usually the development managers felt reluctant to "relieve" their people from their ongoing duties .Personally ,I think that your idea is the best way to go ,but we do what you can. I'll see what can be done in this regard.

Thanks again
    Gali