| || |
Setting up QA
I am involved in setting up QA for my organisation. In order to measure the effectiveness of the processes in place in future, I would like to quantitaitvely measure baseline the existing stuff.
I do not intend to implement all the processes from CMMi at once. I would like some suggestions on the most important areas/ metrics that I should baseline and focus on improving. I guess the pareto principle would work here and by focusing on 20% of the issues, We can address 80% of the problems. Hence I would like some ideas from those who have similar experience and results.
1.Customer Satisfaction Index
2.Defects in Production
Re: Setting up QA
First of all, GOOD LUCK!!! It sounds like a fun and challenging task to set up the QA in your organization.
I am currently involved in something similar, we are not setting up a new team but "taking an existing one to the next level" (read, the team is not performing as it should and we are working on making things right).
Many people will argue against metrics and measuring stuff, but I like to do it even if to provide some extra feedback on the work we are doing and whether we are going in the right direction.
What I did with this company (and I've done it already in a couple of other places) was to limit myself to 2 or 3 measures for the first 3 months. And to choose these metrics by asking people in the company what are the most problematic issues today. So for example right now we are measuring bugs in production and delays in the release. I was tempted to add a 3rd one that was also a big issue (viability into the testing process) but I found it hard to come up with a metric all my people would agree upon, this might also be the case with your first one "Customer Satisfaction Index" unless this is measured by your support team already.
In the past I've measured less trivial stuff such as time to detect issues since they were introduced, percentage of rejected and reopened defects, number of rejected builds, etc. Always trying to focus on the burning issues in the team (Dev+QA) where I implemented the process.
Hope this helps!