Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Share me your thoughts on this

Hi All,

Is Test Management Tool important?
    what is the importance/benefits from this?If "Yes" which is the best tool?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Share me your thoughts on this

Test Management Tool serves one spot reference for all that you do in testing from requirments to defects all can be referred , tracked, updated using Test Management Tool . All stake holders can have the access to whats happening in testing

Would recommend QC (Quality Center)

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The Best Tool is the one that fits how your organization works, and how you communicate, that will vary from company to company. A Test Managemet Tool is important in larger organizations, I've never had a need for one in any place that I have worked so far but they seem to have their uses.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

A Test Management Tool has lot of importance in terms of maintaning the Test scripts in a longer run. Its benefits are that you can easily create a RTM out of a Test management tool. No worries to contact the stakeholders while a defect is rasied as automated mails would be sent to them.

Benefits are lots to mention. Generate robust reports which would make management under stand the stability of a system.

I would use quality center if i had to select a Test management tool.
    I don't build Software but I make them work better, Testing is a Passion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

no doubt - Test Management tool is extremely important - the more testers you have, the more you need the help of a tool.

Quality Center is one of the best, but recently we've been working with PractiTest which is doing the job for us on different projects, for much less $$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Why do you need a Test Management tool? is something you may consider asking before shorting listing, evaluating and then introducing one into your organization.

If the team size is very small, then you may consider using MS-Excel, flat files, Post Its etc for your management activities. (Also, you do not need to pull up reports on the fly)

If on the other hand, you do need a database driven tool, then there is a wide variety of test management tools.

Most modern test management tools are integrated with other tools (defect management, test case management, test execution, requirements management etc), Also reporting capabilities

Note - I am still yet to see a tool which has native configuration management capabilities. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    Regards
    Gaurav Pandey
    http://www.gauravpandey.co.in/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We use QC and it's quite a handy tool. It has good visibility of requirements, test cases, defects, etc. It is a beneficial tool. That being said, licenses are very expensive. It's not uncommon for even big-IT-budget companies to cut corners around the QC cost by buying much fewer licenses than there are testers.

I've found myself developing VBA programs in Excel in the past and although difficult, I can easily foresee replicating QC functionality in Excel. It would take writing lots of macros by a seasoned VBA developer, but it can be done and for much cheaper. Not sure about the "automated test" functionality of QC as I've never used it.