Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Entry in SQA

Hi all,
    I want to do comeback in software field after 3yrs gap (spend in parental resposibilties).I had 3 yrs of work experience as software proffessional in J2ee area before this.can somebody guide me where could i fit in software domain now ?is it possible in software process improment area?will opting for any certification be of any benefit?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Entry in SQA

Why not go back to being a software professional in the J2EE area?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not go back to being a software professional in the J2EE area?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thnaks for ur reply [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but this does not seems to be possible in current scenario since 3 yrs gap is not acceptable in software devolpment line.Am i eligible for the entry level position in process improvement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi

I understand the gap. But if you update your skill set you can definitely justify yourself and try in good companies.
    Second choice would be to opt for other areas in software if you think that is fine for you like processes you mentioned.
    Third is you can do some certificatiosn too.

All de best.

Aisshvarya

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

I ECO the comments above regarding making sure you are not entering testing out of lack of possibilities since you may end up frustrated by the tasks you will end up doing - don't get me wrong, I love what I do but some of my dev friends think I am crazy because of it.

Now, if you wish to enter testing, then you will need to review what are your technical advantages (apparently they are around J2EE technologies) and then start looking at what will make you competitive in that area in your location.

Don't jump straight into certifications without specifically checking the waters. Go and talk to potential employers or people who are already in the trait and understand what are the requirements.
    -joel
    9 times out 10, less is actually more

PractiTest - QA and Test Management Tool
    QABlog - QA Intelligence Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It's a shame no employer is willing to consider your previous experience. I'm sure there are many people in IT who have had career breaks for various reasons and have picked up their career. I never had a problem returning to work after maternity breaks - one of 5 years - despite having moved to a new area and not having any contacts to call upon.

Maybe it's different in India but I found the best thing was to contact many agencies and judge by their reaction to my lack of recent experience whether they would be a good champion for me. Can you do that? Emphasise the experience you have - not only in IT but your time and people management skills (which should come with being a parent). Stress that you are a quick learner and eager to get back up to speed quickly. Do some technical assessment tests - you can find these online - to boost your confidence. You'll be surprised at how much you remember and how little things have changed, even in the white heat of technology.

Good luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You could also work on open source projects in your intended field, that may help to bring your skills back in line with the current situations. I've interviewed and hired people with breaks like yours, though I don't know how India is about that sort of thing, but like others have said don't just choose something because you think it'll be easier to get into. If you have to take a lower position than you had that might be an option, after all you are coming in with more relevent experience than someone just out of university.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks all of you for suggesting me good options and motivating me .My prominent concern of returning back to devolpmental area (if the gap is waived) is that after family i need the fixed or flexible hrs job which does not seems to be possible in dev scenario of India.current me if i am wrong( anyone from India)...
    By the way which certification as aishwarya you said can i opt for ?

Thanks