** QTP FORUM GUIDELINES-MUST READ **
QTP FORUM GUIDELINE
Following are the guidelines and rules that must be followed when adding replies and new postings on the QTP forum:
- Learn QTP Basics – This is <u>not</u> a QTP training forum! Rather, you are expected to learn QTP basics prior to posting questions on this forum. At a minimum you should have gone through the tutorial that comes with QTP and ideally have taken an instructor led course on QTP basics.
- Search Before Asking – You are expected to search the forum for an answer to your question <u>before</u> posting a query. This forum has provided many solutions from the simple to the very complex. QTP uses VBScript as its scripting language. Some questions on QTP are eventually questions on VBScript. An example of a QTP question would be "How can I add an object to Object Repository?", "How can I use Descriptive programming?" etc., while a question pertaining to VBScript would be something like "How can I get the system time?", "How can I connect to a database?", etc., most of which have nothing to do with QTP. In the later case you should first Google such question and see how to resolve your issue using generic VBScript. The next link provides tips and tricks for searching this forum:
- Posting Details – Include all relevant details when you do post a query. For example always include the version of QTP you are using, the current Add-Ins loaded, and the technology involved in the question (web, VB, Active-X, etc.). Also include any solutions have tried. When including your code, slim it down as much as possible, and use the UBB code blocks to preserve indentation. Avoid short queries that lack detail, such as the following:
- I am getting an error while replaying the script, what should I do?
- How do I get the color of a text box?
- How do we test the xyz type of application?
This article provides a simple template you can use to post a well formed request:
- One Query per Post – Don’t post multiple questions in the same post. For example “What is object repository?” and “What are actions?” should each be in their own posting.
- Do not post duplicate queries – Do not enter duplicate postings on the same or different forums. Decide which forum appears to be most appropriate for your question and post in that forum only. Do not rephrase queries and post them as new queries. Duplicate queries will be deleted by the moderators.
- Thread Hijacking - Don't ask a new question in an existing posting, that is unrelated to that posting. Enter a new posting in such cases.
- Piracy - Do not ask for--or post--any maintenance numbers or links to copyrighted software or material. Any posting that violates this guideline will be immediately deleted, and the poster will likely be banned from all sqaForum boards. Asking for any QTP installation information is also considered a violation of this guideline.
- Respect - Do not abuse other forum members. Respect everyone's point of view.
- Words - Do not use words like ASAP, U*rgent, Please etc. Do not use cell phone texting either (i.e. “r u there?” “gr8”, etc.).
- ALL CAPS - Do not use all CAPITAL LETTERS, “!!!”, “???”, etc. in your postings. (All are considered "shouting" and cause readability issues).
- Other People’s Personal Information - Do not post other peoples personal information (email addresses, names etc.) without their permission.
- Your Personal Information - While you may include your email address in a post (but be aware that it might be found and used by a SPAM web crawler) you may not solicit offline conversations--for example, "email me if you have any doubts" or "send all suggested workarounds to the attached email address", etc.
- Interview Questions - You may <u>not</u> post interview questions on this forum. The http://www.sqaforums.com/postlist.ph...0&Board=IQ forum is provided for those questions.
QTP Forum Moderators