Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Selenium

Hi

Can any give some points on what the selenium is all of , how can it be best used for our automation purposes.

Is it a freeware or Licensed .

thanks in advance
    kautilya

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Selenium

It is a web test tool
    It drives the browser via Javascript
    It is therefore browser independent
    It has APIs for different programm languages
    It uses the apache 2.0 license

Points for Confirmed Friends

Thanks Zelm

"Is it a Freeware tool " or required license

what is the scope of the tool for the UI in webAutomation testing
    >>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Selenium is an open source tool. This means that there is no vendor cost associated with installing and using the tool. It is governed under the above mentioned licensing agreement.
    Selenuim is a very good approach to automated testing. The only downside is that to record scripts it must be in FireFox. If your application is quircky in FireFox, it may require some refinement of your application for Selenium to be useful.
    Some nice features is the ability to create tests in Visual Studio 2005/C#. Using the record feature, the recordings can automatically be converted to C# (one of many languages) and copied into VS2K5. The resulting script includes all the required namespaces, including nUnit. Upon compiling into a dll, the script can be run in ThoughtWork's nUnit executor which is very quick. You must set up your code to execute against IE, which is quick modification. There needs to be an addin uploaded to your test server, or a localhost proxy server started, all provided by Selenium.
    This is my first foray into OpenSource automated testing tools, and I must admit the Selenium did a lot of things right. Some of the others I tried left a little to be desired (I won't name them so no war of words starts). It still needs to have some features added, such as a real results log and a dedicated UI mapping feature, but I have already built those myself, so no problem.
    Humble QA servant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Selenium: Open Source Tools

Selenium is a test tool for web applications. Selenium tests run directly in a browser, just as real users do. And they run in Internet Explorer, Mozilla and Firefox on Windows, Linux, and Macintosh. No other test tool covers such a wide array of platforms.

Browser compatibility testing. Test your application to see if it works correctly on different browsers and operating systems. The same script can run on any Selenium platform.
    System functional testing. Create regression tests to verify application functionality and user acceptance.

It currently support writing tests in Java, .NET, Perl, Python and Ruby

How does Selenium Work?

Selenium uses JavaScript and Iframes to embed a test automation engine in your browser. This technique should work with any JavaScript-enabled browser. Because different browsers handle JavaScript somewhat differently, we usually have to tweak the engine to support a wide range of browsers on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

Platform and Browser Compatibility

Supported Platforms:
    Windows:
    o Internet Explorer 6.0
    o Firefox 0.8 to 1.5
    o Mozilla Suite 1.6+, 1.7+
    o Seamonkey 1.0
    o Opera 8

Mac OS X:
    o Safari 1.3+
    o Firefox 0.8 to 1.5
    o Camino 1.0a1
    o Seamonkey 1.0

Linux:
    o Firefox 0.8 to 1.5
    o Konqueror

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Selenium

Test tool for web applications
    Browser Compatibility Testing
    System Functional Testing
    Runs in the browser

Selenium IDE

IDE for Selenium Tests
    Record, edit, debug tests in the browser

Selenium RC

Automated execution of Selenium Tests
    Test can be specified in any programming language
    With the right setup, a test can be tested in different browsers on different operating systems

Selenium Core

Run the Selenium Test
    We can use the Selenium Core library to execute a suite of tests from a browser

Selenium on Rails

Provides an easy way to test Rails application with SeleniumCore
    Test cases can be written in a number of formats
    Partial Test Cases
    NaG
    ---
    * Experience teaches nothing unless studied with the aid of theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

HI All
    Lots of information about selenium. For UI and functional testing which is the best? I mean which flavour. IDE, RC, Core or Rails. I already installed IDE but i really dont know is there any option of identifying objects in selenium.
    Also i can see IDE option in firfox and not in IE. How to bring the IDE option in IE? Any ideas and suggestions.
    Cheers,
    Ram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,
    Most of your questions can be answered by reading the Selenium documentation and information on the OpenSource website.
    Here is a summary:
    Which is the best flavor - it really depends on what you want. I prefer to record if I need to in the IDE, convert it to C# and add the lines of code to the nUnit suite. I then use RC to execute the tests

There is no option to 'identify' objects. I am in the process of creating my own solution, but that solution is intended to function only from C#.

Selenium IDE is only available as an add-in for FireFox. You can take the scripts you record in FireFox and replay them against IE however.
    Humble QA servant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you want some solution like QTP/WinRunner/Silk etc to find objects its not there. I have found using XPath very helpful. I have installed XPath viewer add-on in Mozilla and using it along with the Selenium IDE to identify objects and making my automation robust. For usage, even I follow the same thing i.e. record it using Selenium IDE , export test cases as Perl and execute it using Selenium RC. What scripting language you use is up to you we use perl because of our familiarity and availability of tons of modules in CPAN,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Can you please shed some light on the add in you are referring to when using Selenium with IE? Can you share some inputs on this topic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast