Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

HtmlUnitDriver Usage in Selenium WebDRiver

Hi All,

Can anyone please help me the usage of HtmlunitDriver?

I tried in Google, I am bit new to Selenium So i am unable to understand the examples provided in Google?

Is it open any browser? where exactly we will use this one?

Is there any extra configuration required to use this driver?

Thanks in Advance,
    Chowdary.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    HTMLUnit is a headless browser. But these days more people will generally opt to use the PhantomJS driver instead because it more closely mimics Chrome while HTMLUnit does not render close to any production browsers out there.

What HTMLUnit browser is good for is if you're a framework developer that wants his unit tests to run quickly for testing extensions you're writing for Selenium. HTML unit is a good way to go since it doesn't incur extra dependencies of deploying PhantomJS on the host machine when running it CI on a open source cloud environment.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Thanks dlai,

Still confusion is going on, how Selenium will interact with this browser if there is no UI for the application?
    i tried below piece of code but it fails at identifying the locator

WebDriver driver = new HtmlUnitDriver();
    driver.get("https://www.google.co.in");
    driver.findElement(By.id("gbqfq")).sendKeys("Chowd ary");

Regards,
    Chowdary

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowdary287 View Post
    Thanks dlai,

Still confusion is going on, how Selenium will interact with this browser if there is no UI for the application?
    i tried below piece of code but it fails at identifying the locator

WebDriver driver = new HtmlUnitDriver();
    driver.get("https://www.google.co.in");
    driver.findElement(By.id("gbqfq")).sendKeys("Chowd ary");

Regards,
    Chowdary

As I mentioned, HtmlUnit is not recommended for doing any sort of testing beyond unit testing selenium itself or frameworks for selenium. It lacks a layout and a proper javascript engine that'll allow it to run any sort of complicated page correctly. It's mainly there for the benefit of developers writing modules for selenium to unit test them.

Use something like https://github.com/detro/ghostdriver instead for headless testing.

There is a lot of bad examples out there that use htmlUnit driver mainly because it requires not environment setup so anyone can run those examples without installing any browsers or browser drivers. As for how headless browsers work, it's basically imagine if you had a real browser running, but the graphics were turned off. so from a user's point of view, it's just a command line prompt, but from the code's perspective, there's code that's reading the HTML and JavaScript and performing the actions on those elements, and keeping track of those element states.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile