Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Web Applet testing using Selenium

Hi,

Anyone knows how to test the web applets using Selenium Webdriver. I tried using FEST but its a bit complicated.

Regards,
    Mujeeb

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by MujeebuRahman View Post
    Hi,

Anyone knows how to test the web applets using Selenium Webdriver. I tried using FEST but its a bit complicated.

Regards,
    Mujeeb
    Selenium cannot test native code. Unfortunately the Java Plugin running the applet is Native code.

There are ways to work around it. Like for example, creating a JavaScript hook to pass method calls to the Applet. Or having the app in test mode make a socket connection back to some automation agent so you can stream data between the test script and applet.

But I think the simplest solution would be to take the testing of the applet outside of the context of of the host page, and test the Applet separately. Then you'll be able to just use a simple JUnit or TestNG testing framework to create a java app that loads your applet inside some container. Then using that, you can easily pass java AWT/Swing events to elements you wish. (As for locating the elements, you'll have to figure something out, what I like to do is just have a init method on the views that just adds all the visible elements that's automatable to some global dictionary object for easy look up, and upon the view's removal/destruction, remove all the elements from that lookup object.

That method is commonly used for testing RIAs. Since most RIAs can also easily live inside containers of an application developed using the same technology.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi Dlai,

How do i get the applet elements from the UI. since in my case the applet is within web and when tried with firebug it doesn't show up the elements property.

Regards,
    Mujeeb

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by MujeebuRahman View Post
    Hi Dlai,

How do i get the applet elements from the UI. since in my case the applet is within web and when tried with firebug it doesn't show up the elements property.

Regards,
    Mujeeb
    you won't be able to use selenium to access the elements. You can use an object inspector like winspy or something to get an object hiearchy, but you'll still need to use another tool or method that can automate java apps.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile