Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Selenium WebDriver On Mac

Hello. I am looking for suggestions on which language to use with Selenium given my circumstances:
    - I will be developing on a Mac.
    - I have not done development in some years. When I did, I used C++, C# and Java.
    - The application I am testing is written in Ruby on Rails. I know that does not matter but I am trying to gain some experience with Ruby to build my skillset.

My goals are to get up to speed quickly and avoid technical hurdles. If I can gain some Ruby experience, that would be great.

Please share with me your thoughts and opinions, I know there is no "right" answer! :-)

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Use which ever language you want. With the exception of php and javascript, most of the bindings have feature parity. I recommend Java, Python, or Ruby based on community support and the binding maturity. But using the same language you devs are using will be best. This will allow you to use any dev fixtures and ORM hook ins that'll greatly speed up your test setup. This will be helpful when you start thinking of doing mass scale parallel testing. In terms of language features, I like Java because it can be made more idiot proof with their strong typing and encapsulation. Python and Ruby are nice for more advanced programmers as you lose some of the idiot proofing, but you again some flexibility of Multiple inheritance and Polymorphism. For example, you can use Mix-ins to make your Page Objects more modular, or Promises to greatly speed parallelize/speed up you test setup.

Just a note of experience. The Safari driver is very under developed. I'd probably recommend using chromedriver if you want working tests. For me, I have tests tagged that work on safari and those that don't. About a good 1/3 or my tests will not work on safari since safari driver does not support any native events (required for dismissing alerts, and choosing files).

I'm currently developing on a mac using Python. But my tests are running on linux or BSD in the continuous integration setup. I'm using WTFramework as my configuration control.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I have not done any webdriver test on Mac but Java seems to have plenty of knowledge base. Also market yield more Java resource easily in case of scalability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Thanks for your reply as well as the watch-outs. I felt like I will gain some benefit by using Ruby as our development team does. I will likely start in Java and see if I can learn Ruby as I go.