| || |
- 1 Post By abhaybharti
Selenium IDE, RC and Web Driver
Tell me the Difference between the Three Selenium IDE , RC and Web Driver.
Which one is best for the Automation ??
RC is the old API, most future development is going towards WebDriver. For the most part, any future support of RC is basically just an API face to webdriver.
Selenium IDE is good for record and playback. I think they're most useful for throwaway tests. For example, record a defect to attach to a bug ticket. For any serious CI work, webdriver is recommended.
Thank you David . Selenium IDE is use just for record and playback ??? or we can use like an QTP tool ??
Yes and you can export scripts from the ide to various languages to become RC tests.
Selenium Builder allows you to record Webdriver scripts as well. It's more useful than the IDE. If you're doing any new development I would stick to just Webdriver and Selenium Builder. The others are outdated.
IDE is record and playback - Limited and very restricted automation objective.
RC - is kind of proxy server
Webdriver provide driver and concise set of API to run them naively
learning curve is not continuous and you can skip one to get another. Many people hardly use IDE.
Brief description of Selenium IDE, RC & 2 or WebDriver is as follows -
1. Works only on Mozilla
2. Record and run tool,
3. Cannot move mouse with it
4. Cannot test iphone / android application
5. No looping/Control logic
6. Useful for creating automation POC
Selenium RC :
1. Works on almost all browsers.
2. No record and run
3. Server is required to start
4. It’s a simple and small API & Less object oriented API
5. Cannot move mouse with it
6. No listeners
7. Cannot test iphone / Android applications
Selenium Webdriver :
1. Works on latest version of almost all browsers – Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome
2. No record and run
3. Interacts natively with browsers application
4. Complex and bit large API as compared to RC
5. Purely object oriented API
6. Can mouse mouse cursor
7. Implementation of Listeners is provided
8. Can test iphone / Android application
9. Scripting can be done using languages like Java, C#, Ruby, Perl etc
Conclusion : IDE is good for creating POC or prototype. For automation suite creation, WebDriver is suggested.
Last edited by abhaybharti; 05-07-2013 at 08:06 PM.
With all that said.. RC might be good to learn for people who have to maintain legacy tests. Although it's an aging technology, having there's still a world where there are lots of tests written in RC and very few people have experience in that field to maintain it.
it's like learning Cobol. Although hardly anyone programs with it anymore, there are legacy engineers that make a pretty heafty salary just because there is hardly anyone out there that has that skillset.
Thanks abhaybharti for your brief and all friends.
Tags for this Thread