SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Universal Framework Development!

I think the reason why no clear universal frameworks have emerged (test driver layer) is because each company has their own needs and integrations they need.

At my last job, we worked in the insurance industry and we needed a way to feed vast amounts of both generated data and static data for each of our tests. I ended up developing for them a custom keyword driven framework with a data driven capabilities. Within the data driven provider, I created a system of custom tokens and factories for generating supplemental data when the data was not provided.

At my current job, each test doesn't need as much data and valid data since we're trying to make car buying easy. So we can get away with something with much simpler data driven capabilities and use an off the shelf framework like cucumber or robot.

The 2nd reason I suspect many companies believe testing is part of their IP and think of it as competitive advantage and wouldn't open source their frameworks. I've basically have written very similar pieces of framework code from scratch in 3 different companies because neither of them would allow me to open source of the product agnostics parts of the frameworks (data generation, parsing routines, keyword/event dispatching, scheduling, validation routines, custom javascript workarounds, etc...)
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hey David,

Thanks for sharing your bit.
    Well i really appreciate the efforts you've put in while creating that data driven framework thing previously.
    Now to focus more on the thought, say if i have a web based application or a website(google,wiki etc) and i have some basic requirement of verifying the text/images etc. what approach or what methodologies we can possibly implement to achieve such thing?
    As we've been aware of couple of QTP standard frameworks(not standard though but we can call them as methodologies) like Linear(record+play), Keyword driven+OR, Keyword driven+DP, BPT, Hybrid etc.

- what approach could possibly be used to get my web based app tested?

- Can we have a generalised template which can be used to tackle this basic req. and suffice to the efficiency, reliability and ease of use at the same time?

- Can we add up more flexibility in this template so as to handle or tweak in for a new req. or with large set of data?

Discussion on queries like this could possibly lead us to a great conclusion and towards a more systematic and reliable framework development approach.

Share in your thoughts or comment me on this as we get into the core of it.

Regards,
    Ravi Salunkhe.
    Regards,
    Ravi Salunkhe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you guys for all your mails on this discussion...i'm starting off with the development of the same.....more of your inputs on this topic will be highly appreciated!

Regards,
    Ravi Salunkhe.
    Regards,
    Ravi Salunkhe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello Champs,

After a long strech i'm finally done with the development of the same!...need couple of your inputs so as to make it more reliable and more flexible...

Can you guide me with the below points:-
    - How should we keep the reporting technique(Excel/HTML)?
    - Do we need a UI to intereact with the set?
    - What more flexibility should we put in(Should support multi-browser etc.)?

I have tons of queries to discuss but will clear off with some basics!...
    Please help me out with your suggestions guys...!

Thanks,
    Ravi Salunkhe.
    Regards,
    Ravi Salunkhe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

FYI.