Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Selenium plug-in for flex

I would like to test flash web based application using Selenium. I know 2 selenium plug-in Flex Monkium and Flex Pilot. Both plug-in will require to include *.swf files to flex's app libs folder. We are using third party web based application and do not have access to the source code of the application. So we can not include *.swf files to libs folder of the application. We just have access to the website.

Is there any other plug-in for selenium which can able to identify flex objects directly from flash web based application without including any files to libs folder of application?

Let me know as soon as possible if anyone knows such plug-in for selenium.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Selenium plug-in for flex

Not really. Flex runs in native code, unless they open up a JavaScript interface to the automation API's (that's what the flex selenium and other flex automation plugins generally do), you won't be able to access it.

Without a JavaScript bridge, the only other means of accessing it is either using MSAA, which is generally done with a native application testing tool that supports MSAA (like QTP, TestComplete, AutoIt, and other similar tools), or by using a screen-scraping based tool like Sikuli.

If you're using selenium, and already have a lot of test fixtures and scripts in selenium and need something that integrates. Sikuli might be your better bet as it can be called as an API.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you David.

Right now we are investigating tool for flash web based application. We are looking either selenium or QTP to identify flex. Our main automation tool is QTP. How can we integrate MSAA to QTP? Do we require any patch or add-in from HP for MSAA?

Regarding selenium, how can I integrate Sikuli to selenium IDE? The person who is going to work on this project, he is manual tester. He does not have more programming experience. He may be only record and play back only using Selenium IDE for flex part only.

I would like to try both QTP and selenium. Please let me know. I really appreciate for your help.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sikuli can't be integrated into Selenium IDE. If you were using Selenium Webdriver with Java or Python it would be possible. But it still is trouble some for people without engineering backgrounds.

For MSAA, it's up to how the 3rd party programmed their application. But for most standard components provided by Adobe, they have basic MSAA properties that allow you to get the caption or perform a click on the UI element. QTP and most heavy weight windows tools will have MSAA support included out of the box. QTP should recognize whatever MSAA properties are available in your flash application by default (so long as they exist, there is the possibility the control is a custom control that hasn't implemented MSAA).

QTP does have a Flash/Flex plugin. That'll give you more properties and greater automation access, but that requires a .swf file to be compiled into your application like the other plugins.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile