Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Selenium - unreliable tool? Waitforpagetoload

Keep it short:

a test which always worked, stopped working. Then worked again. Then stopped working. Etc. Then I repeated the same test 400 times -> it failed. Actually only the first time the test was performed it failed, the other 399 times went well.

The reason for failing was that a number read from a textbox was not yet updated. E.g. i enter 5+4 and then click "calculate". Afterwards i expect 9 in a textbox, but get 0 cause the calculation was not done yet.

This fails obv. because of waitforpagetoload (in my eyes)

has had someone a workaround? i'm not the only one experiencing this... see here:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/63360...ults-in-timeout

crosspost from openqa seleniumforum:
    http://clearspace.openqa.org/thread/20656

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Selenium - unreliable tool? Waitforpagetoload

I don't think it's fair to say that Selenium is unreliable. If you work with any other browser test automation tool, you will find that timing is frequently an issue. You need to know what to wait for, and you need to know a lot about how the application itself is built, in order to get the right formula.

If you care to share your code, perhaps we can make some specific suggestions about how to ensure that your test will work correctly every time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Add the waitforpagetoload in a loop if you havent already. Cannot figure out from your post whether you are depending on the default of 30ms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't find it unreliable, and I am using this on pages with Ajax. I see you've posted at the Selenium HQ site as well, did you do a search there to see some of the other comments on this? You may also want to check for element present, or as noted, increase the wait time.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

After 1.5 months of working with selenium i have my first weird error.

Any ideas where it comes from (e.g. other programs / firefox open in other windows)? Clicking around while testing?

it cannot be connected to the 30 seconds.

tailoring the code out of the framework etc it comes down to this:
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>

public String thisIsSpartaaa(String elementLocator, String locator) {
    seleniumSession.highlight(elementLocator);
    seleniumSession.click(elementLocator);
    seleniumSession.waitForPageToLoad(30000);
    return seleniumSession.getValue(locator);
    }
    </pre><hr />

btw how would one loop because of waitforpagetoload?

p.s. i've worked a month with testpartner before pulling the plug on it. My last work there was concentrated on double checking everything (e.g. click, setText etc). Because tp is so incredibly unreliable. Can this happen here as well?