Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

spam protection etc

How does the Spam Protection work? I heard of using images with words? Is that safe enough? By the way, this site allowed me to register without asking for an image-based word, so how does it prevent automated programs flooding spam registrations etc? Also, if I build a web application, is there a tool I can use to identify the general weak areas in my application?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: spam protection etc

[ QUOTE ]
    Is that safe enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

As with anything, "enough" depends on your requirements.

For some sites, that would be safe enough.
    For other sites, it would be nowhere near enough.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, sure. How does this site use that prevention mechanism? Is not having even an image-based option safe-enough? Sorry but this question is only going to add value to the knowledge of me and others, and perhaps this site developers as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"Image-based" option as far as I have seen only secures or prevents automation on registration - once registered it is easy enough on most sites to automate and if it is your desire create spam. This site handles spam the old-fashioned way - diligent moderators.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Is not having even an image-based option safe-enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, you'd have to ask the site owner.

AJ - do you think your current spam protection is safe enough?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Real Galuboy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Image based protection is present in orkut as well if your scrap contains a link. I think it is good to have feature, otherwise any automated program can write scraps in thousands of profiles. Here I think old fashioned way seems to be working fine. So if some thing is not broken why fix it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Image-based protection doesn't protect you from all scripts. I manage a phpbb-based forum with a registration image and a verification link sent via email. It was getting flooded with automated spam.

We cut the amount by about 90% by making our registration form different from others. The scripts assume every phpbb forum uses the same parameter names. Change the names and the script fails on our site. Most spammers won't put in the time to adjust their script for each individual site - that takes up too much of their time.

So basically... predictability is the biggest weakness. If your registration system is a copy of hundreds of others out there or your site is sufficiently large you'll get spammed. The best thing is to not have your site be the same, or make it dynamic in some way that makes it difficult to script.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello,

>>Image-based protection doesn't protect you from all scripts. I manage a phpbb-based forum with a registration image and a verification link sent via email. It was getting flooded with automated spam.

This is quite interesting!

I assume that the spammers are getting through the registration in some other way - or do you think that the spammer script is actually reading the letters in the image? I find this quite surprising and if yes and would wonder how that could be done?

Regards

Armin
    Armin Albarracin
    http://www.albarracin.ch - My publications

----------------------------------------------------------
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right"
    Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

They are in fact using a program to read the letters in the image as a part of their script. Here's some more info on the problem with phpbb:
    http://blog.phpbb.cc/articles/captcha/

This is why some sites have really funky looking lines, tilted letters, different colors, etc in their images. It's all to make it more difficult to use image recognition to read. A good programmer will probably be able to hack any image with usable accuracy given enough time, all you can do is try to make it hard enough for them to give up and try a different site. Another method is to detect bot registration attempts (lots of failed registrations, logins, requests for verification images, etc) and lock them down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast