Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Password expiry testing

Hi all

Scenario : user are able to generate their own password for registration.The generated password will be valid only for 90 days after that the user has to change the password.

How will you test the expiry of the password...(ie it expires after 90 days)...............?

Thanks in advance

Abrar

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Password expiry testing

Y'know, the best way for you to learn is to give us what you think you might want to do...and then have us provide feedback on where you are on the right path and where you have areas for improvement.

That having been said, how will *you* test the expiration of a password?
    Jason Trebilcock

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

-George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright and Nobel Prize winner, 1856-1950

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi ,

How to test the which i mentioed scenerio any clues or ideas will be greatful

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

sorrry for the previous message

How to test the scenerio which i mentioned .....?

Any clues or idea will be helpful

Thanks IN advance

(note JCtreb : iam not here to learn english or grammar , i am interested to learn about testing )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Abrar,
    Jason wasn't commenting on your use of language. He was suggesting you give us an idea of what you've tried already or any thoughts you have on how to test password expiry. Then maybe someone can help to point you further in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Abrar,

How about if we start with:

Generate a password
    Wait 90 days
    Attempt to use the password - expect that it still works
    Wait 1 more day
    Attempt to use the password - expect that it no longer works

Now, your turn. Can you improve on that?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Abrar

I think that changing the dates will be a better idea then to wait for 90 odd days. Make sure that you are not changing the system date, instead change the date from database.
    Some other checks that you can implement that after expiry duration, try to save the same password.
    When want to change password in windows, it does not allow to reset the password if new password is already used. They maintain a list of previous 5 to 15 passwords. If the new password does not match the list, then they allow to reset the password.

But in my view, it should not be so strict. You can implement it only that your current password must not be saved as your new password.
    Farrukh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Unless one is prepared to do a db backup and restore, changing the date is a database has huge and far-reaching implications.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Just curious, can you change the single row in the database for the testing.Make sure that you understand the ER Diagram of the database properly before working directly with database.Check the dependency before u change anything in Database.
    Somehow i feel that working with database is only option for you.Its been long time i have done this kind of testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    I think that changing the dates will be a better idea then to wait for 90 odd days. Make sure that you are not changing the system date, instead change the date from database.

[/ QUOTE ]

(sigh)
    I was trying to get Abrar to think of this on his own, and you didn't give him the chance...

[ QUOTE ]
    Some other checks that you can implement that after expiry duration, try to save the same password.
    When want to change password in windows, it does not allow to reset the password if new password is already used. They maintain a list of previous 5 to 15 passwords. If the new password does not match the list, then they allow to reset the password.

But in my view, it should not be so strict. You can implement it only that your current password must not be saved as your new password.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are assuming requirements/design that may or may not be valid in Abrar's system.
    While these "checks" may be perfectly valid on your system, they may be totally inappropriate on Abrar's system.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast