Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QA Wizard Pro with PowerBuilder Application

I have been trying QA Wizard Pro on and off for a few weeks now. I am trying to set it up for automated testing with a PowerBuilder built application.
    I am having a number of issues with the application repository capturing controls. It does not seem to capture most of the controls properly. Apparently there are a number of edit boxes that are captured as generic controls. There are also numerous struggles with capturing edit boxes when it is able to. When I choose to populate the repository, it seems to only capture one edit box at a time. Most of the labels are not captured as well(not that I need them for anything more than identifying them next to edit boxes).

I have been unable to locate any information with regards to these issues anywhere I've thought of searching. Do any of you have any information or advice on how to work through these issues? We also do not have the OCR License and it is greatly unlikely we will be able to get one(within me or my bosses power).

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QA Wizard Pro with PowerBuilder Application

[ QUOTE ]
    Apparently there are a number of edit boxes that are captured as generic controls.

[/ QUOTE ]

This occurred on our .NET application. I'm not sure if this is going to help you. A couple of things to talk with your developer or architect about:
    1. Is development customizing these editboxes? For example our developers needed to customize the .NET editbox to meet a requirement (in your case it would be powerbuilder editbox), so they hid the public attributes of the .NET editbox and displayed the only what they wanted too.
    This caused some .NET objects to be recognized as Generic controls.
    QAWP does not do well with this type of customization. There are creative ways to deal with this. Again, if you are still evaluating the tool talk with the sales person and engineer regarding these problems as they want you to be successful with this product.

2. What property in an editbox will not modify from build to build.
    i.e. we modified the XML for QAWP to select the controlname instead of the controlpathname for certain types. This allowed for much better object recognition without duplicated objects.
    Talk to Seapine support before modifying the XML.

Good luck!
    -Stace

-------------------------------------------------
    "We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated."
    -Maya Angelou

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QA Wizard Pro with PowerBuilder Application

Stace,

Thank you very much for your advice. We had purchased a license long ago but never had the resources to use it, so here I am now familiarizing myself with it.

You advice on locating and editing that xml file was very helpful as it had solved my issue with locating multiple edit boxes in a window.

I believe the issue with locating some controls is that powerbuilder uses datawindows, and apparently the datawindow object gets in the way of checkboxes and buttons.