Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Using same scripts for Different versions

Help QA Wizard PRo Gurus!!Please!!

I am wondering if its possible to use the existing scripts for different versions and add any new changes in the product with QA Wizard Pro.

I have a local repository and i want to reuse my scripts against the latest version of our product.

I was reading through the help and it mentions about the Option "Populate Repository" by which i can point the application to record against any running application and add to the repository.

I tried doing this but looks like this would work against windows based application, while i am testing against a web-based application.

Any thoughts? or is there any other way around?? i dont want to rerecord all my scripts as my newer product version has undergone a lot of changes.

Thanks in advance for any help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Using same scripts for Different versions

Sure you can run the same scripts, as long as you install the new application version under the same master heading in the repository. All previous objects will be transferred to the new version and the new objects in the version can be learned by accessing the page with them. The "Populate Repository" is a bit under explained. If you start it up, then put your mouse over the cell or object and click, that object or cell will be assigned to the repository based on it's contents. If it is a dynamic object the name of it in the repository can be changed to make it recognisable. For instance I have a large HTML table with monitary values. When I ad the cells to the repository their names are based on the value they contain. To scan the cells for validation By column I start at the top left and name it 1x1 (colxrow) the next row would be 1x2 etc. Then in a for next loop I can step through them easily.

NOTE: The "Populate Repository" has a memory limit. If you try to memorize too many objects it will crash. You need to do it slowly and stop it occasionally. Do one, then wait for the cursor to reappear then do the next and so on.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the info Rich.

I already did this,installing the new application at the same place/header as the previous version.

But my problem is that my application underwent changes, and now it wont recognize few of the windows and my scripts doesn't run against those modules.

now if i try to rerecord the new window, it is creating a new object in the repository with a new different name.

So my question is if i want to make these 2 repository objects into 1(with the original name as used in the script) how do i do it? i am assuming using the Merge Repository function, but want to be sure before i apply it.

i don't want to loose any changes.

Thanks again for the fast reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Supposedly you can use merge, but I have been unsuccessful at getting it to work as advertised.

From the manual:

You can modify the window and control data in the application repository to:
    1. Create intuitive names for windows and controls that are referenced in scripts.
    2. Change the properties and values that are used during playback to locate controls.
    3. Merge duplicate controls that are captured during recording if the application changes.
    4. Update references to modified window and control names in multiple scripts.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Duplicate windows or controls are created when the identification criteria for the objects in your repository are not optimized. You can ‘merge’ or delete controls. The ‘merge’ action is not allowed on windows; you have to delete duplicate windows to remove them.

If you often have to remove lots of duplicate windows or controls, a change to your default identification criteria ("C:\Program Files\Seapine\QA Wizard Pro\defaultidentificationitems.xml") may be necessary.
    G. Ndefru
    Software Support Engineer
    Seapine Software, Inc.