Thread: java testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

java testing

java white-box testing is a new task in our QA group. Also, I don't have too much experience with white-box testing so now I am kind of stucked.

If anyone can give me some ideas or tips of how should I start.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: java testing

mlei1975,

My first suggestion would be to learn about the Java API itself and how Java works behind the scenes (ie. what is Byte Code and how does it fit into Java.) This may not help you with the actual testing but it will help you understand the results you get and why you may get them - and it will help you talk to developers about what your results were which makes you look very smart!! ;-)

Secondly, since you are wanting to do a test of Java I will ***-u-me ( ;-) ) you are using EJBs? If so then you will probably want to check out a third party testing tool. These tools come in many flavors and offer a wide are of support in them - some may actualy capture/record the Java API calls and others may only work at the TCP/IP level (which believe me is not very pretty unless you like looking at binary data!!)

Lastly, try to determine what you actually need to test. Is the Java "stuff" hitting a Database server or is it EJB calls to a server? Is it a three tier system or just a 2 tier? These questions can help you understand where you should spend your time at when doing a test and also help you in tracking down any problem areas that you have. If something doesnt seem to work on the client end it does not mean that it is the first server that it connects to causing the problem - maybe it is the database server that is the slow down??

Help this helps!

------------------
    Have a good day!
    El Seeker
    elseeker@hotmail.com
    Have a good day!
    El Seeker
    elseeker@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElSeeker:
    mlei1975,

My first suggestion would be to learn about the Java API itself and how Java works behind the scenes (ie. what is Byte Code and how does it fit into Java.) This may not help you with the actual testing but it will help you understand the results you get and why you may get them - and it will help you talk to developers about what your results were which makes you look very smart!! ;-)

Secondly, since you are wanting to do a test of Java I will ***-u-me ( ;-) ) you are using EJBs? If so then you will probably want to check out a third party testing tool. These tools come in many flavors and offer a wide are of support in them - some may actualy capture/record the Java API calls and others may only work at the TCP/IP level (which believe me is not very pretty unless you like looking at binary data!!)

Lastly, try to determine what you actually need to test. Is the Java "stuff" hitting a Database server or is it EJB calls to a server? Is it a three tier system or just a 2 tier? These questions can help you understand where you should spend your time at when doing a test and also help you in tracking down any problem areas that you have. If something doesnt seem to work on the client end it does not mean that it is the first server that it connects to causing the problem - maybe it is the database server that is the slow down??

Help this helps!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Elseeker is that to check this particular functionality of server hitting database or Ejb Hitting server Tester have to look into the code or tool help is to be taken.

------------------
    Its me Jassi
    Its me Jassi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm not quite sure what you are asking in your last reply. Can you give a little more information and detail to your question? I will gladly answer it if I can.

------------------
    Have a good day!
    El Seeker
    elseeker@hotmail.com
    Have a good day!
    El Seeker
    elseeker@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Or, if what you are trying to do is test an API written to your app in Java, then what you would want to do is write sample apps that interface with your app and uase your custom Java based API calls. Ensure that each API call is used in the way intended and exercises all parameters and possible values that could be passed to the call. Verify that what the call returns to your sample app is what is expected. Also write sample apps that don't use the calls properly and verify that your API calls handle themselves properly.

Have multiple sample apps to try to

A) test each call individually if possible
    B) test the calls in related groups if applicable
    C)test multiple different types of calls in one app

All the while performing verification of what the call is doing with data passed to it and what the call is returning.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

A perspective that has worked well for us is that Java components (classes, frameworks, EJBs, etc.) provide some set of services and that tests are clients of those services.

These services may be public, in the form of public API methods or used internally within the application.

If you take a services approach you don't need to worry about bytecodes, or the VM or any of that internal stuff. You just need to think about how to request those services and how to validate that they were provided correctly.

This is the approach we took for Java component testing with Test Mentor - Java Edition at http://www.silvermark.com.

It enables developers and testers to validate Java component services. One interesting thing about this tool is that it provides test representations for developers (tests as code) or non-developers (visual test layout) so they can collaborate and share tests. The visual layout scheme enables testers to create complete tests for Java components without the need to understand how to program in Java.

------------------
    Mike Silverstein
    SilverMark, Inc.
    The Object Testing Company
    msilverstein@silvermark.com
    http://www.silvermark.com