Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Anyone using Ruby Frameworks?

I'm looking to get some Ruby scripts in place for our next release, I have an opportunity to try and script some new functionality and I'd like something a little more open source and more readable for non-Perl people. Ruby looks to me more readable than Python, I considered it as well, but I think Ruby might be simpler for some of the people on the team.

Anyone using Ruby or any Ruby-based Test Frameworks? I'm playing around with Systir now to see how it is, though its a bit old but might still be usable.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Anyone using Ruby Frameworks?

[ QUOTE ]
    Ruby looks to me more readable than Python

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is because you are used to Perl, which is syntactically closer to Ruby than Python. Python actually prides itself on simplicity and readability. Being "human readable" is more important than being clever (definitely unlike Perl) in the Python world.

sorry I didnt answer your question.. just needed to throw in my $.02 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

----

The Zen of Python

Beautiful is better than ugly.
    Explicit is better than implicit.
    Simple is better than complex.
    Complex is better than complicated.
    Flat is better than nested.
    Sparse is better than dense.
    Readability counts.
    Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.
    Although practicality beats purity.
    Errors should never pass silently.
    Unless explicitly silenced.
    In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.
    There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.
    Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch.
    Now is better than never.
    Although never is often better than *right* now.
    If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea.
    If the implementation is easy to explain, it may be a good idea.
    Namespaces are one honking great idea -- let's do more of those!
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Anyone using Ruby Frameworks?

I actually found it more like Java than Python, but I get what you mean I have done Python as well, I'm not as immersed in it as you though...of course I realized after I posted that I did not note what I was looking for in a framework. Sorry about that.

Basically I have two needs:
    1) A filter driver - I need something that will give me a framework around system events (file/directory create/delete/modify) and the ability to pull in external scripts to do other things that I can't easily do normally in something like Ruby.
    2) The ability to create multiple directory patterns (for file checking and dependency)

Taking a deeper look in System Tester I don't see where I get more than just by having coding standards and a Controller that handles all of the scripting I need.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout