Use Case Testability

Are any testers using the notion of "Use Case testability" when verifying Use cases written by business analysts.

I came across this term of testability and I thought it describes the frequency and complexity of UC to help prioritize the derived test cases.

I'm interested to know how testers and business analysts use this term in the context of deriving test scenarios and test cases. Thanks!

Re: Use Case Testability

HI Swati,

Yes there are - and there are plenty of advantages! Heres something that I look for:

1) Whether the Requirements can be Quantified? : For eg if the requirement is "The system should respond fast to the users actions" - You could quantify it by response time / turn around time in X seconds.

2) Non quantifiable requirements - which is where most requirements fall under. Eg: "The system should be user friendly". In this case you could perhaps ask yourself ( or actually ur analyst [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) - how s/he could break this down? Maybe the above could be broken down to -
    a) "There should be wizards available"
    b) "There should be tool tips available"
    c) "There should be a help page"

...then maybe a,b, and c could be further broken down to more requirements. The idea as u put it urself - that u shud be able to make test cases out of the requirements [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

3) Coherency and Consistency: Make sure the requirement does not (as far as possible) refer to more than one intended meanings....and the terms and requirements are consistent throughout. For example make sure that the input to one use case is the same as what the other use case is sending as output.

4) Are your requirements complete? (There could be a lot more here! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )

5) Traceability - can each requirement be distinguished from the other requirements? a good identifier perhaps?

Cheers and Best of Luck!

Thanks for the reply - It was helpful.

I have another question about deriving test scenarios from Use Cases.

For each path and alternate paths through the Use Case, what format is most helpful for test scenarios?

I've come up with a template for the test scenarios, but find a lot of repetitive information from the Use Case. The most value I've found is integrating business rules/requirements into my test scenarios.

Any recommondations to improve test scenarios(functional)?

through some deep thought(s) - I suggest 42! Ok that was a bad joke - and you will get the punchline only if you read Douglas Adams. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ok back to some suggestions:

1) How about segregating your test cases into use case level test cases (specific to a single use case) and scenarios - covering an entire path that include multiple use cases.

2) Try using use case diagrams. You might use these to prepare scenarios - and there are less chances of them getting missed out.

how to test the tables and cellphones?

Originally posted by asoksamy:
    how to test the tables and cellphones?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] dint quite understand what you are looking for...can u elaborate?