what to do when requirements are not clear or not completely specified

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Requirements not clear

I do several things. First, I ask a lot of questions - of the author of the specs and/or development.

Second, I scope out what tests I feel need to be run as best I can, based on the specification and those discussions. There will be some tests where I am not sure what the results "are supposed" to be; I mark those scripts as "stubs". When I execute them as part of my test suite, I examine results closely and use common sense to make some determination as to whether those results make sense. If they appear to be wrong, I write them up as defects. This often "forces" the design decisions and discussions that should have taken place up front. It's not a "clean" way to do things, but it does get the job done.

Finally, when I've received very poor specifications, I do more exploratory testing during the test period itself, which is examining and testing the system I have been provided, learning as I go, allowing results of one test to lead me into additional tests and using instinct, experience, and common sense to help me drive out error.

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I do all of the things that Linda does. The biggest hammer that QA has in this case is writing defects. Defects are not just for code. Defects are for bogus tests and poorly written requirements too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It all depends upon the phase of the project, the robustness of the development methodology, accuracy of project estimating, good project management, and people practices (among others).

Requirements at the beginning of a project may be ambiguous and incomplete. That is normal. If you have the benefit of being on an ideal project, you could expect requirements reviews. If so, then you have the opportunity to help drive the requirements to the desired level of maturity.

An excellent article/book can be found here:
    http://www.softwareconspiracy.com/swconspbook.pdf

More reading here:
    http://www.stickyminds.com/sitewide....&ObjectId=9150

If requirements are incomplete and ambiguous, and remain that way, then the odds are great that the project will fail and the customer will be unhappy (unhappy means really really angry [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

It looks like your question attracted some quick responses! These responses give you a well-rounded answer!

[ 08-09-2006, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: JakeBrake ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If it's feasible you can also organize formal review (by all the different actors.)
    You can also use this review to present your needs to the owner of the requirements. Sometimes, poor requirements comes from a lack of understanding of the use of the document.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In this case we need to know about clear requirements, if requiremrnts not clear need to discuss with project manager or client.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I will agree with the "it depends" answers. Major factors for me are the phase of the project and the importance of the requirement. But at the end there is only one solution: trying to make it clearer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

When requirements are not clear, then there is [censored] need to ask for the same with the project heads and with the client, as these are the person who can help you in better way

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

One of the teams in our company made out slides explaining the requirements and the sub-requirements as they view it. This was then explained to the client proactively and the client said yes for all the requirements we got right and no when we made a mistake in the interpretation. This went on for a one or 2 cycles after which we proceeded with the next phase.For any change in requirements too the same procedure was followed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

nisaja - it sounds like that team has re-discovered one of the many ways of eliciting requirements. Good for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast