Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Role of Testing in improving requirements gathering.

i would like to ask regarding this, At requirements gathering time, what we do improving Testing?

Please Specify abt this topic. It is Important to me

Thanks
    Raviku chjin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Role of Testing in improving requirements gathering.

Why don't you give us some of your ideas about improving testing, or some specific concerns about improving testing during requirements gathering? That will serve to prime the discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It might also remove confusion. Your topic title and the contents appear to contradict one another.

(By the way, I presume pretty much EVERYTHING people ask is important to THEM. That importance does not influence us one whit).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

i have no idea abt that, please give any link or any other net material

Thanks
    RavikuN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I see. So you are not prepared to expend any effort yourself? It's just a case of "give me the answer."

Try Google. Come back when you've done that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

hi its very good say to you that i have done good R & D in this topic so please see this and let me know any new things need to be added.

ROLE OF TESTING IN IMPROVING REQUIREMENTS GATHERING.

..By Perry

Testing during systems development should begin during the requirements phase. It is during this phase that most of the critical system decisions are made. The requirements are the basis for the systems design, which is then used for programming to produce the final implemented application. If the requirements contain errors the entire application will be erroneous.

Testing during the requirements phase is a new concept to many developmental teams. However, experience has shown that the requirements phase is the most cost-effective phase in which to detect a system flaw. Located at this point, the defect will not be incorporated into the design and coded into a program, but rather, caught at the earliest possible point.

The primary objectives of testing during the requirements phase are to:

o Determine that the requirements fairly represent what the user needs.
    o Determine that the needs have been defined and documented.
    o Verify that a cost/benefit study has been performed and that it is reasonable.
    o Determine that the business problem has been solved.
    o Verify that the control requirements have been specified.
    o Verify that a reasonable process was followed in developing the business solution.
    o Verify that a reasonable alternative was selected among the most probable alternative solutions.

a) All the requirement gathering practices and best results are the outcome of testing the requirements for the suitability and reducing the gathered tool defects for product.

b) Selecting the tools and softwares and environments need to test for suitable and optimized performance on it for our product.

c) The step 16 ensures the testing part of work on gathered requirements to ensure its quality.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Requirements Gathering Practices
    The following is a list of recommended requirements gathering practices. They are based on the author's extensive review of industry literature combined with the practical experiences of requirements analysts who have supported dozens of projects.
    1. Write and iterate a project vision and scope document.
    2. Initiate a project glossary that provides definitions of words that are acceptable to and used by customers/users and the developers, and a list of acronyms to facilitate effective communication.
    3. Evolve the real requirements via a "joint" customer/user and developer effort. Focus on product benefits (necessary requirements), not features. Address the minimum and highest priority requirements needed to meet real customer and user needs.
    4. Document the rationale for each requirement (why it is needed).
    5. Provide training for requirements analysts and selected customer/user representatives that explains the following:
    o The role of the requirements analyst, e.g., to evolve real requirements working with customers and users, not to invent requirements independently or to "gold plate."
    o How to write good requirements.
    o The types of requirements errors and how these can be reduced.
    o The value of investing more in the requirements process.
    o The project and/or organization's "requirements process."
    o Overview of the methods and techniques that will be used.
    o How to use the project's automated requirements tool.
    o The role of validation and verification during requirements definition.
    6. Establish a mechanism to control changes to requirements and new requirements.
    7. Prioritize the real requirements to determine those that should be met in the first release or product and those that can be addressed subsequently.
    8. When the requirements are volatile (and perhaps even when they are not), consider an incremental development approach. This acknowledges that some of the requirements are "unknowable" until customers and users start using the system.
    9. Use peer reviews and inspections of all requirements work products.
    10. Use an industry-strength automated requirements tool.
    o Assign attributes to each requirement
    o Provide traceability.
    o Maintain the history of each requirement
    11. Use requirements gathering techniques that are known, familiar, and proven in the organization such as requirements workshops, prototyping, and storyboards.
    12. Provide members of the project team (including requirements analysts) who are domain/subject matter experts.
    13. Evolve a project and organizational approach based on successful use of policy, process, methods, techniques, and tools. Provide a mechanism such as working groups to share information and "best practices" among projects.
    14. Establish a continuous improvement ethic, teamwork approach, and a quality culture.
    15. Involve customers and users throughout the development effort.
    16. Perform requirements validation and verification activities in the requirements gathering process to ensure that each requirement is testable.

thnaks
    Ravi Ku

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There are things I don't agree with in this posting. For example, the goal of testing requirements is NOT to verify that a reasonable process was followed. Who cares what process was followed? As long as the requirements are correct, I don't care if they were elicited via divine intervention.

Speaking to the "Recommended Requirements Gathering Practices" and the statement that following those 16 steps "ensures the testing part of work on gathered requirements to ensure its quality" - I don't think so. Nothing in there talks about the quality of the requirments and how to verify same. Those things all talk about process, not about quality.

Try this on for size. I use it when I am teaching new BAs about reviewing requirements. It is by no means complete or comprehensive, but it gets them started.

Requirements must be SMART.
    Specific
    Measurable
    Achievable
    Relevent
    Testable

An example for you. Requirement - system must be "user friendly" and easy to use.

How specific is that? How do you measure it? How do you test it? Yet, I constantly see that as a requirement for new systems.

[ 06-01-2006, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Darrel Damon ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I get sth different
    in drafting requirement,
    1. I keep asking BA the importance of this function.
    2. consult BA whether this function requires sth complex, such as a very specific AI algorithm to find out certain "pattern "
    3. see the requirement as "test requirement", think about how u will test/break it. u will find a lot of clarifications are needed.
    4. if it is sth like a patch, I will ask current users, which part (function, module, interface) goes wrong. Be alert to their complains. such complain is a good guide for test while the "importance" helps u to prioritize all tasks.
    5. a function/processing/action is just one step of a process, then, trace that process, it tells u what u need to do in system integration and business integration.
    6. ask BA to clafiry non-functional requirements.
    7. if u have nothing to do in the requirement gathering, read manual/maintenance guide of current system.
    8. if current system is totally new, google similar project information.

do all these things in gathering requirement. you know "business" and requirement better, and u test better.
    cabbage rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

sorry, number 8, should be: if coming system is totally new, google similar project/product information, including technical/financial and even news like a scandle such as: "database server broke down in no-this-bank Bank due to hard disk failure last night in no-this-city". Such news tells you something?
    cabbage rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Jason,

Can you please not write your answers in "txt", "shorthand" or whatever it is you use. I and I'm sure others would like to be able to understand what you are trying to say!

Thanks
    Graham

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast