Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

writing test cases in middle stage of project..!!!

Hi ,
    First of all thanks for your time.I am working on a project which is running from last one year and the test cases written for same project are not complete as last person didnt complete it.As I said I came in the middle stage of the project,my PM has asked me to complete those test cases.
    My question is that,as it is a genral concept in testing that 'Test cases' should be completed after reviweing requirment and before actual execution of functionality;is it good to write test cases in such middle stage of any project? Does it affect testing process and if so, how ?What should i do to maintain execution and writing test case for varying functionality of this project??

Please do reply.
    Thanks
    Regards,
    Shail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: writing test cases in middle stage of project..!!!

What do you mean by completing test cases? Are the test cases written, but no execution logs reported; only drafted (i.e. test case names listed), not documented at all?
    I will assume you mean the last.
    There are plenty of reasons to write test cases, you could read about few in my blog http://www.testingreflections.com/node/view/3150 and comments. Depending on reasons there may be nothing wrong with documenting test cases after tests are executed. e.g. for regression test purpose.
    The only complication I see in your case that You perhaps don't know what was tested. So you will eventually need to execute the tests you write and could a) find more bugs b) miss certain functionality/tests
    ?:the art of a constructive conflict perceived as a destructive diagnose.
    Ainars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

by writing test cases early in the project, you can take several benefits, such a static testing of the requirements, e.g uncover ambiguities. You will probably write down better test cases if you start early in the project, will have better coverage etc. Having said that, to me, you can start now writing them as well. Just bear in mind that any ambiguity in the requirements you may find could affect something already developed.

hope this helps

albert
    Albert Franquesa
    Testing Services

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As you stated, I've met this kind of situation many times.

However, I still need to keep on writing the un-completed test cases, based on the requirement and the un-completed test cases.

Though it is in the middle stage of project, it might have something bad, it also has something good for you here; it could make you to get into the project much faster and know the business logic faster, and costs less time to finish the test cases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't see any problem with creating test cases while you're actually testing. Often when I start testing a system I realise there are things I didn't think of when reading the requirements. I want to document these tests so I create and execute a test case as I'm doing the testing.

By the way, some people don't agree that "'Test cases' should be completed after reviweing requirment and before actual execution of functionality", I certainly don't believe that all test cases CAN be complete before actual execution of the functionality.

Good luck,
    Steve
    Everywhere's within walking distance if you have enough time.