Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

webload - opensource?

What is RadView's strategy in making WebLoad opensource? How will they make money?

I want to get away from LoadRunner, so is WebLoad a right choice? Now that it is open-source I hope I can even change code where needed (like in Reporting styles).

How does WebLoad compare to LoadRunner (for general web application performance testing)? Like for example, as we all know, LoadRunner eats a lot of resources, how does that compare to WebLoad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: webload - opensource?

folloing is what RadView CEO think on strategy...

"RadView is embracing an open source approach for building, marketing and selling software," said Yochai Hacohen, RadView CEO. "The power of the open source ecosystem, will make WebLOAD a better product, reduce time to market and increase WebLOAD's reach, enabling WebLOAD to become the de facto standard for performance testing of Internet applications."

It is recommended to make tool comparison with context and requirement, generic comparison does not help in specific case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Webload opensource
    -1 generator
    -roll your own analysis (although they are now offering a standalong app) http://www.webload.org/

Think of this as a whet your appetite for something larger, Webload commercial.

I take exception to your statement, "LoadRunner eats a lot of resources." It's a pretty efficient tool, considering that it is based upon 'C' for the majority of the virtual user types. You should not expect a resouce gain when moving from a lower level language like C to a higher level language, like Javascript or Java, both of which are core to WebLoad. In terms of Java, consider the overhead of the virtual machine and the efficiency lost when thunking calls into and out of the Java VM. Not pretty. I should not this applies to the other commercial testing tools use of native Java for virtual user types, they all take an efficiency hit.

Full Disclosure: I work for a VAR which sells HP|Mercury, Borland|Segue and Compuware tools. We deliver services on all of the above plus OpenSTA, JMETER and Ixia's IxChariot Product line. We have evaluated WebLoad OpenSource, but because of the single generator utility, we cannot implement a sound process involving distributed load with a "control" generator set as we can with all commercial tools and the opensource tools noted above. As such, we cannot recommend the opensource variant to our clients who are concerned with high integrity performance tests.

http://www.radview.com/product/Editions-Comparison.aspx
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for the insight.

But I was told that if I were to generate 400 concurrent virtual users to an average website (simple request with a 30 KB response) from JMeter running on a signle machine, it can do it easily but if it were LoadRunner, it needs a lot of RAM (a lot lot more compared to JMeter).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    You should not expect a resouce gain when moving from a lower level language like C to a higher level language, like Javascript or Java, both of which are core to WebLoad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked out their source repository, and almost the entire code base is C and C++.
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    In terms of Java, consider the overhead of the virtual machine and the efficiency lost when thunking calls into and out of the Java VM. Not pretty. I should not this applies to the other commercial testing tools use of native Java for virtual user types, they all take an efficiency hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

In theory.. yes.. compiling to machine code "should" be faster than bytecode running on a VM.. but thats not always the case. With stuff like JIT and optimazations, performance is very comparabele (and often times outperforms native code depending on the benchmark). It is also highly dependent on implementation and how they manage concurrency... threading? process forking? coroutines?

My point is just that there are many many factors to consider and its naive to just base your perfomance/efficiency assumptions on the language used.
    Corey Goldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As to the original post...
    do some research on open source business models. there are many ways to make money and support a business without releasing proprietary code.
    Corey Goldberg