Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

ensuring high priority CRs get finished -iterative

Just a query in regards to the 'iterative methodology'. My company is planning to introduce such a method, which has a number of time boxed iterations with the Business analysts, developers and testers working concurrently or in tandam with eachother. Each timebox is a month in length.
    The idea I think at first was to ensure that high priority bugs get seen to first and are guaranteed to be be implemented, with the lesser priority bugs falling out of scope in later iterations if they cannot meet the release date.

However there are a few dependancies to carry out testing, the main one being the delay in recieving aduqate documentation from business analysts and also problems in communicating with developers that work off site.
    My worry is that the high priority AND HIGH DIFFICULTY bugs will be delayed and continuously miss their milestones and as a result never be finished in time.

Am i worrying too much or is there an easy fix to this dilemma?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: ensuring high priority CRs get finished -iterative

You could implement a set of acceptance criteria that must be fulfilled before the team is cleared to move to the next iteration. We use a 90%/95% threshold: at least 90% of the regression tests and 95% of the new functionality requirements for the cycle must be tested and passed in order to meet the acceptance criteria and move on to the next cycle.

If that approach is too structured because the cycles overlap too much, then I suggest a weekly defect review where the QA, Development and Project Leads all get together and go over the open issues. You can limit this to high priority/severity issues or open it up to all issues. This keeps the team aware of the open issues and you can bring up any QA concerns with the Dev & Project Leads. The group can prioritize the open tasks and assign due dates so the developers know which issues to work on each week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This is normal in an Agile or other iterative process, the added dilemma you have is offsite people, whether or not they are in the same time zone you are going to have disrupted communication which is what most of the iterative processes rely on. The concept is people work and sit together, so that there is a direct communication line between all team members, if you lose that you lose a big strength - so depending on how your team is structured this could be a big or small loss for you.

Iterative processes also generally have discussions on the work to done within the timebox at the beginning of the period, documentation for any of the work that needs to done should ALREADY BE COMPLETED. Doing it within the timebox is counterproductive, and like you say, puts things at risk. If the Leads for the time box do not know what the work involves, including some understand of the work that may or may not need to be documented, you cannot plan it within the timebox. So this part could also be a big loss for you. Still, if you desperately need this in the timebox, then you need to make sure the schedule meets your needs and in a time for you to finish your work within the timebox or your work is at risk.

These processes also require retuning, be sure that your management understands this, and plans appropriately, the process you start with now may not be the one you use a year from now.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you all for your valuable input. You gave me a lot to think about.