SQA Role & responsibility

There are some interesting challenges for SQA role & activities in my organization.
    This is with reference to Software Industry.

Basically there is at a gross level lack of compliance to Quality Management system (This is more to do with a mindset issue & ego, high esteem perspective, I can delivery without QMS)

Even the people in escalation path just listen, but do not take much action.

SQA is supposed to co-ordinate reviews (tech and management) However the fact is that practitioners preciously know when a review is required as they have higher and bigger stake in the project and they do it exactly when required irrespective of what SQA says.
    SQA is then merely a coordinator.

If SQA recommends a practice, no one follows (even though it is understood that SQA is a customer advocate), when the same thing is asked by customer, without fail everyone follows!

I find something wrong with the way SQA Roles/Responsibilities are defined & implemented in the organization I work with.

In one of the CMM Books I came across a Disadvantage of SQA concept that was indicative of organizations would not want to assign their best technical talent into such roles.

Would like to know your comments, views.

Re: SQA Role & responsibility

Hi Patkim,

i'm not sure if i understand your concern completely and if I can help you here but I feel like sharing my thoughts...

I'm also having difficulties to convince PM's / dev leads to agree to what I'm saying (often happens that I report a concern but that it's somewhat ignored until the users ask for the same). QA is sometimes "overlooked" or "forgotten" in some vital meetings, etc.

I assume you're in an organization that is not yet "used" to QA? QA in my organization is no longer new but small and still struggling - also due to a lack of management support (this is changing now). It's not just a matter of having written down roles and responsibilities - We have that here and we struggle.

You can have as many communication skills as can be - you won't get far with that if your management isn't on your side and pushes your pm and development fellows a bit to get out of their ignorant playground...

If you go escalate to the management make sure that you're proactive and provide ideas on how you think you can improve the position of QA in your organization...
    I can just talk about my own experience here but my boss doesn't react if i just tell him that something's wrong and don't give him my ideas on how it could be done better.

hope this helps...

Nobody's perfect.

Michigan, USA

Presuming Alexx is correct, I will presume that the SQA group exists because it is "supposed" to be there. Without strong upper management support, and line managers who see the benefit of QA, the value of your process and recommendations must be proven. Even with that support, if the recommendations are of little or no real value to the company, then *fix the QA process.*

Until the value of QA is demonstrated beyond any doubt, these types of battles will continue. After the value has been shown, if upper management embraces the process, the bulk of the issues will go away and line management may at least follow the process/procedures.

If upper management "supports" the process, the battles will settle down to small scraps.

If upper management makes no ruling beyond lip service, the battles will continue and you will spin your wheels.

The problem being posed here is a very common and typical of any QA professional in a SW company.
    But in my opinion you can make your position much more desirable by getting involved with the development team on technical matters and helping them solve their problems.
    Don't go by the typical checklist and auditing approach rather try to show them that you are part of their team to solve their team's problems, increase their productivity, reduce defects and help them meeting customer requirements.
    Help them in proactively identifying risks and mitigate them, come up with simple excel based tools or applications to help them in their day to day work/reporting etc.
    With a bit of change in attitude also you will get better support from Your PM and Developers.
    Thanks and Regards
    Cell: +91-988-064-7936

LN Mishra, PMP, PGDM (IIM Ahmedabad),ISO 9001 LA
    Founder and Principal Consultant
    Adaptive Processes Consulting Pvt. Ltd.
    An ISO 9001:2000 Certified Company

Simpler, Faster, Better way to Manage Processes!

I'm facing exactly the same problem as you are.I dont know what is wrong with people.They give a damn to my suggestions.When I'm saying they wood completly agree with me but when it comes to implemetation nothing works out.At times I'm so ****ed off I cant explain in words.

I'm trying to implemet CMMI in my oraganization lets see how successful I will be?

And please let me know if you find any solution to your problem.

Many Thanx

Life is all about sharing & learning

St. Louis - Year 2025

Patkim & Sandler.

If each of you is the only person trying to implement process and practice in your respective organizations; the odds that you will succeed are not that great without both executive empowerment and additional people help.

There are far better odds that Elvis Presley will do a free concert at your company and will include his own cover or rendition of a disco mix of "You Light Up My Life" while wearing a tutu and sporting luminous purple side-burns.

So what can you do and how do you get empowerment and the necessary help AND create the understanding that cultural change does not happen overnight?

It seems obvious that you have already been given the task to do this. I recommend each of you go back and revisit the why and assigned by whom. Hopefully the person or persons that made the assignment are still around. If not, then your struggle becomes greater. For this list of advice that follows I will assume that these people are still in your organization and are management or above.

Prepare a short presentation (15 slides or less) that consists of the items listed below. I would not recommend covering the cost of quality, advantages/disadvantages, etc. Arrange for someone to take minutes and assure that they do get published and distributed after the meeting. The idea of the below is test the waters to see if you have true organizational backing and to get hard commitments and participation from others those who did empower you or those who would now empower you. So you are not selling QA here. You are simply doing a reality check. If there is no commitment, then your final question to the audience is What would you like to see in a final report to close out this effort and who should sign-off?

<ul type="square">[*]Summary of what you are tasked with.[*]Why this initiative was assigned what problems was/is it intended to solve?[*]List of pieces/parts constitute this initiative (Inspections, reviews, requirements analysis, trace, CM, etc.)[*]Why each piece/part was originally considered important to the organization[*]Why each piece/part is/was originally considered important to the customer[*]What is the cost to your organization for not having this in place? (Maybe do without this one??)
    <font color="blue">Now the Question/Answer session:</font>[*]Of the buffet of items in classic QA, what does your audience want to implement?[*]Who within the organization will own each piece/part and assure progress is made per a plan?[*]When does your audience (the who from just above) want each piece/part implemented?[*]Get commitment to defining plans, next steps, follow-up meetings, etc.[/list]

This discussion may help.

I recommend this book. If your company will not pay for it - would that be a strong sign of the level of commitment?

[ QUOTE ]
    Patkim: In one of the CMM Books I came across a Disadvantage of SQA concept that was indicative of organizations would not want to assign their best technical talent into such roles.

[/ QUOTE ]I would guess this talking about overall perceptions. A technically savvy person charged with classic QA could be invaluable in inspections and reviews of requirements, designs, etc.