How to do the verssioning

Initially we start with verssion we give if there is any minor change , also giving assurance the earlier version is supporting.like this we will increment the 4th parameter. we give if there is any major change in the earlier version also giving assurance that it will support for the current application. we give if there is any major and major change in the earlier version and it may or may not support for the earlierverssion. then, means its completely changed.its new technology.

1)My question is here changes means only enhancements or fixing of issues in the earlier version.
    2)Can we give the version like from to directly if possible then tell me in what case? plz help me for doing versioning also correctme if i am wrong in the versioning i said as above.

Krishna Prasad Arni

Re: How to do the verssioning

Is this an interview question? If so, it is an interesting one.

Versioning works differently at each company, so you can pretty much be free with what you use as a number. I've been at places that use 1.1.1 and places that use with pretty much the same criteria - new-version.major-change.minor-change.cosmetic/internal-change

Its all up to the company.

You could skip numbers if you want, they don't always need to be consecutive, but mostly version numbers are mandated or have input from groups outside Engineering so they can be whatever the "public" wants. And that mostly, is covering only places I have been, your mileage may vary.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Some reasons someone might skip versions: was built and used internally but never released, or only released to a particular company
    Planning and work for started before was released. The 1.2 release was cancelled in favor of concentrating on 1.3, and since they were already using that version number internally they just kept it.

There's no official standard on this - it's up to each company to decide. It's some combination of the development team using version numbers to track their work, and a PR/sales decision.

Roseville/Santa Clara, CA

Here is our typical versioning... major initial system/product release a service fix to an individual customer (maybe single or small handfull of defect fixes) a service pack (general availability) of several service fix releases maintenance release (general availability) made up of service pack releases and small product enhancements minor release (general availability), fitting in missing features from the "dot" release, plus defect fixes.

Each release in the chain is cumulative.

We've gone from a second or third minor release (i.e. to the next major release (i.e., and have even skipped major numbers along the way. This is mostly due to marketing (and market) considerations, and how significant of a departure the NBT is from the current shipping product (UI, functionality).
    If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
    - Gen. G.S. Patton