Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Measurements of QUALITY of implementation, testing

would you pls tell me a clear list of what things would be good measurements of QUALITY of
    1. implementation,
    2. testing,
    3. management
    in a software project ?

I'm thinking about:

1. Testing: might be the clear steps of testing, detail results. Time of testing ...and the degree of bad testing ...

2. Implementation: good source code, time spending for implementation, degree of redo bugs/task

3. Management: document, workforce, ....

Can you, guys help me to make sure about this? Thanks in advance

FL, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Measurements of QUALITY of implementation, testing

Quality itself cannot be measured as it is a subjective item, what I consider to be quality in something maybe very different to what you or my customers consider to be quality. To define quality I generally use the maxim that it "meets the needs of the customer(s)".

For implementation I am assuming that you mean the implementation and usage of the finished/implemented product/software.

<ul type="square">[*] In my opinion the only way that I can gage this is by the number and severity of the Incidents/help desk tickets opened AFTER the product is implemented.
    [*] For your idea - exactly what is good source code and how would you measure it?
    [*] Time spent in implementation - I have worked on Projects where it took 2-3 days to implement due to conversions that had to take place - does that make it bad?
    [*] The degree of redo bugs/tasks - as I am thinking after implementation this would be incidents reported to our help desk which may or may not be bugs. I would not use bugs found before implementation to measure the product after implementation

Measuring Testing

Once again I find this subjective:

<ul type="square">[*] Clear steps of testing - exactly what are these and what objective means can be used to measure them? What is clear to me because I am experienced and knowledgeable on an application may not be clear to a junior tester or my manager but what I use will still lead to testing be done and defects being found.
    [*] Time of testing - once again very subjective. When the code development is very good and the build delivered has very few bugs and meets the requirements the time taken to test will be much less than the time taken when development is poor, there are a lot of bugs and requirements are not met - do you penalize the testing because the development is poor?
    [*] The degree of bad testing - how do you measure that objectively?[/list]
    Measuring Management in a Software Project. I do not measure the management but things I can measure where I work may reflect on the management of the project but cannot be used on their own to evaluate the management of the project. I measure items that are objective such as Project on time - did you meet the dates, Project on budget was the project completed within the budget defined for it. Were the project deliverable that we require delivered, distributed to the correct people at the correct time?

You mentioned:
    <ul type="square"> [*] document - you need to have it defined what documents should be completed, when in the project they should be available and what they should contain.
    [*] workforce - do you mean project team? There are so many things that can happen - people resign, they get transferred, the workforce that are assigned - which the project manager may have very little influence on, may not be very experienced or may not be very skilled.

To measure something I first look at what do I want to achieve with the measurements? When this is known I search for objective items that I can use to measure. Then if the data I am using to measure is not available, a process or activity has to be put into place so that the data is available. Then the data is collected and presented.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison