Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

activities supporting software quality assurance

Hi!
    I`m looking for some brand new trends (inovations) for supporting software quality assurance (some description of it). If you could give me some clue where to look for it, books websites. Perhaps you applied "modern performance to support SQA"
    P.S. Sorry if i posted it in wrong place

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: activities supporting software quality assurance

Why "brand new" - why not "tried and trusted".
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"Tried and trusted" ways to ensure quality are absolotely OK!!, but I`m doing research for my diploma and among others there is a chapter about "modern activities supporting SQA". Did search about critical systems (medicine). I need some More examples...perhaps NASA. All I know right now about "modern activities...." is that all concern is placed in security of software. Please correct me if I`m wrong. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My far from humble opinion is that 95% of the time when someone rolls out a nice shiny-new process, method, whatever, for software development in general, it tends to strongly resemble the essential concepts of a process that went out of favour some time ago - OR - it is an attempt to refurbish and repackage an existing process so someone else can make money from it.

The needs remain the same. Broadly speaking, the tasks remain the same. Technology will change the face of it and possibly the method of execution, however, the core concepts remain.

The 5% of the time when a "new" concept really *is* new there is a period of pushing it aside by the majority, a handfull look at it and say it is worth considering (and then do), some will grasp it as the silver bullet they've been looking for, and a handfull will be willing to try it on a limited basis.

QA tends to follow the same general path - with adaptations for the role we play.

In short, most of the "new" stuff is little more than the "tried and trusted" that has been spun, wheedled and repackaged into something else. Technology may allow us to do things differently - but differently is not new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sailor - a modern activity maybe referring to automation of the testing effort, although it has been around for many years companies are still trying to automate many manual testing activities.
    Life should NOT be a trip to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an cool and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body wrecked, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

IMO Security, just like SOA (service oriented architecture), Workflow/BPM(business process management) are the development/architecture technologies and also performance engineering is not achieved maturity (compared with relational DBs, scriping and programming languages, etc). That's why testing them tend to be mentioned under "modern activities".
    ?:the art of a constructive conflict perceived as a destructive diagnose.
    Ainars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank You guys. Is modern activities could be directions where SQA is developing??. If you know some examples from your practice or thoughts you could share, please do

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Maybe something along the lines of where QA is finding a place in Agile or Scrum? They are not new processes, but I would imagine that QA's placement in them might be considered new since they are Dev-focused processes.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout