Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Configuration Management

Dear All,

I just joined a Software firm. It is a very small firm with 25 member, running for more that 15 year. They wanted a person to get them ISO. Since I had experience as in the corporate Qly (ISO Internal auditor) process in a BPO they selected me. After entering they expect me to set up the Quality Metrics. I am a BCA graduate has very little knowledge regarding the Software Quality. We do have a tester who does blacktesting (Manual testing). But what should I do as a Quality Auditor??

Any way I started to prepare the Quality Manual and made it in place. I found that they don’t follow any procedures. The expect me to put everything in place. I tried and defined 15 process starting from Marketing to HR. But I am not aware about the certain process like – Configuration Management, Quality Metrics… etc., . I may need serious help in this topics.

Expecting your advise on what is that all about and what all the records and documents should I maintain for the Configuration Management and Quality Metrics. Thanks a lot. I hope my questions are very basic.

With Rgrds
    Qlychap
    With regds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Configuration Management

Qlychap,

Either get your testing resource to assist you with the QC portions of ISO, or hire a consultant to assist you.

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi ljeanwilkin,
    As you said, I have already tried it. The tester is just 3 months experienced and she doesn’t have a clue either. The Consultant was already hired (before I join this firm) but he is asking me to write the process as per present situation. We have only the project managers where they are not aware of the Quality metrics.

As per the Reference: ISO 9001: 2000 Clause 7.5.3 the configuration management policy and maintenance is necessary. What I can understand from the configuration Management is – It is concerned with tracking and controlling of the work products. But what is the way to track and control is the interrogative. Because they dosent have any version for the sw they develop.
    With regds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The consultant is right. Learn how tester receives updated software and how he knows what have been fixed there and if he has any issues about it. Probably the process is following: developer share or e-mail latest dll-files and tester just copy them into his environment time-to-time. Probably everyone is happy about it and never have issues that customer receive something different from what tester have ever tested ...

I would push them to start versioning both product and source code, use CVS or any other open source "source control system". I would also push them to use bug-tracking system (if they don't use one yet), which will also help to monitor and manage product changes and collect some metrics.
    I would talk to management if they support versioning dev. documents (requirements, design) and registering changes to them through the same defect tracking system - although it would be too much effort for such a small organization.

[ 03-28-2006, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Ainars ]
    ?:the art of a constructive conflict perceived as a destructive diagnose.
    Ainars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Ainars,

Your statements are acceptable provided if they follow some procedures or documents. Let me explain you what’s happening here. When they get a project (Web designing, client server programming) the make a informal meeting and separate modules themselves. (Till now except the proposal nothing is documented) The modules are developed in the own systems the developer themselves do the unit and integrated testing the system testing is done by the tester where she gets the information from the PM (Verbal – checks only the data entry and links) and creates the test case and check them. If she found some error in it she sends it back to the developer and correct it and again test the sw. After testing the send the sw to the client. I am astonished that the haven’t even maintained the dispatched software.

Now where how should I handle the configuration management or Quality Metrics ? If they have some system of handling the software development It would be easy for me to do that. Now I have to make them record from the scratch which makes my work really complicated. I am really happy if I can find out a solution to work it out.....
    With regds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"Your statements are acceptable provided if they follow some procedures or documents. Let me explain..."

You have just described the process they follow. A process can be a simple set of tasks. Why don't you start of building around this process. Ask yourself what you are trying to acheive. What questions doe you wnat to be able to answer? Some common ones are:

1. Can we replicate the sourcecode for the system we created for customer X?
    2. Can we replicate the system we created for customer X?
    3. What version does customer X have?
    4. How many outsanding defects are raised against version X of system Y.
    5. What defects have been found by customers?
    6. What version of system X is defect Y fixed in?
    7. What new functionality was in version X?
    8. What tests were run against system X?
    9. What changes were made between version X and Y?
    10. What code changes was used to fix a defect?

As Ainars suggtested, having a Source Control System and a Defect Tracking System will help put you into a position to be able to answer these questions (if these questions are the type of thing you want to answer). In addition to this have simple release notes and a simple release DB (or spreadsheet or even a text file) will also help.

So you process currently is something like:

1. Initial meeting about new project
    2. Developer implements system
    3. Develepor unit and integration tests
    4. Developer delivers system to test via email
    5. Tester designs system tests with guidance from PM
    6 Tester executes system tests
    7. Any defects found are reported back to the developer
    8. Developer fixes and creates new version
    9. Tester re-tests
    10. Software delivered to client

A possible improvement that doesn't require too much change might be:

1. Initial meeting about new project
    -people can be reminded if the process if need be
    2. Developer implements system
    -project is under source control and has ID (e.g. "1000") representing the current state of the code
    3. Develeper unit and integration tests
    -developer makes some changes under source control and has ID (e.g. "1001")
    4. Developer delivers system to test (not via email)
    -system is stored in predetermined area
    -email sent to tester when ready stating ID "1001" and where system is located
    5. Tester designs system tests with guidance from PM (possible while code is being written or even before)
    -test cases should have unique ID too
    6 Tester executes system tests
    -records results in a test DB or spreadsheet, stating ID "1001" and ID of test.
    7. Any defects found are reported back to the developer
    -defect founds are logged in defect tracking system and associated with ID "1001"
    8. Developer fixes and creates new version
    -the developer picks up the defects from the defect tracking system
    -developer makes some changes under source control and has ID (e.g. "1002")
    -defect tracking system updated to show with ID corresponding to the fix (this also shows version fixed in)
    -system is stored in predetermined area
    -email sent to tester when ready stating ID "1001" and where system is located
    9. Tester re-tests
    -Updates defect tracking system
    10. Software delivered to client
    -Release DB updated with date and ID of version released to customer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Daniel Browne,
    This really makes some sense for me. I also thank Ansari for his views. My understanding and my action plan is :
    1. Create a perfect determined shared location with access control, where the developer writes the code.
    2. Ask the developer to maintain a unique code for their files developed.
    3. Testing (Unit, integrated and System) should also be done from the same location.
    4. Any changes in the code should change the unique code, which should be recorded by the person who changes.
    5. The final program developed should be handled to the customer with the version control.
    6. If customer get back with the compliance, we have to get the source code from the static location and do the corrections with different code and give the customer with the Revised Version.

This is all about Configuration Management rite?

Do correct if I am wrong at any of the steps.

How can I measure the Reliability, efficiency, integrity and usability of the software developed, I came to understand these are the areas where the SQA have to concentrate.
    With regds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Points 1, 2 and 4 can all be used through correct use of a source control system. It would probably be worth reading a book on configuration management to get a better background on the subject.

Just remember what you are attempting to achieve and then ask yourself if your plan will solve your problems.

As for your second question, I would start a new thread on the appropraire forum. Have a search first though as this sort if things has been answered in other posts.

Cheers,
    Daniel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok fine Do the Software Quality Analyst should have any programming knowledge? or can one be a successful SQA without the knowledge of programming or engineering.
    With regds