Can any one tell me what are standard software testing methodologies and what are various defect tracking procedures?
Re: SOFTWARE METHODOLOGIES
This is a very big question. I guess you are not looking for a definition, but existing methodologies on the market.
My point of view is that there are as many standard methodologies as there are companies. The example is clear when you talk about Rational Unified Process with some persons. Almost everybody has the same understanding of the high level approach, but when you go into more detail, everybody has made some changes to fit their business. Which is perfectly logical.
What does exist though are what I refer to as frameworks. They provide guidelines on important aspects of testing, without the formal implementation. I.e. you select the process that is conform with the framework.
The boundary though is not very clear, so I'll just provide some references that I use as frameworks, but that some others are using as methodologies.
- TMap: Test Management Approach (http://www.sogeti.nl/tmap)
- TPI: Test Process Improvement (http://www.sogeti.nl/tpi)
- TestFrame (http://www.logicacmg.com/testing_quality/testframe.asp)
- Test Management Model (http://www.logicacmg.com/testing_quality/test_mng.asp)
- TMM: Test Maturity Model (http://www.csam.iit.edu/research/tmm.html)
- CMMI: also has some references to testing, but it's not its focus. (http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi)
- UP: Unified Process is about the entire development cycle, including the aspect of testing (www.unifiedprocess.org)
Hope this helps,