Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to create Test Stragegy with out business requierment

I been asked to create Test Strategy with out any supporting documentation.
    The application we are suppose to test has been redesigned with new front end and has been upgraded from old mainframe system to new technology.
    Can some one please advise how to approach this and what to include in the test startegy.
    Thank You

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to create Test Stragegy with out business requierment

There are absolutely no requirements - neither for the new system nor the old system?

I always say "If there are no requirements, then any design will suffice!"
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The old system does have functionality, does it? So you can define what the system should be doing.
    Second you have technical risks, because of the new environment. For example, if it is written in .NET you can focus op possible risks in such an environment.
    I think with a bit of creativity you can find a lot of risks - and a lot of test techniques to cover them

Why not use Exploratory Testing as a definition phase for your test strategy? If you do that together with people who used the old system (or at least know) maybe you can detect a good strategy from that?!?

Anko
    “None of us is as smart as all of us” - Gerald Weinberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

With a test strategy, just document what you know. A strategy is like a test approach; have you discussed how you're going to test the system?

Start with a short overview of the project. Then document your approach to the testing that will be done. It doesn't matter if it's vague right now. Just put down what you know at this time. Put all of your strategy-type supporting processes in (or links to those documents). For example, where will you store test requirements/cases/scripts? Do you have templates for any testing documents? The test plan? Naming conventions? How will you report and work defects? Status reports? This kind of general information is not dependent on business requirements and is appropriate in a strategy document. You can also put in a general schedule for the testing activities that will come next. For example, if you are going to be working on test outlines, and expect to be done in January, that can go into the schedule. You can keep it very high level and list only major milestones.

Hope this helps.

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you all for your help and support. It helped me get going.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm in a similar situation at the moment. I have to develop a test plan and test case on a public web site for our client, which, to date has no style guide, no definite technical specifications, etc. I created a draft test plan, using a template from previous projects, and emailed the involved parties - project manager, developers, etc - requestion documentation (storyboard reference), and technical specifications. From that, I was able to make a somewhat reasonable draft, with the understanding that it was to be updated when changes or more information was available. So my backbone document is created, and it also gives the team a guideline as to what they will need to provide to QA.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning.
    -Albert Einstein