Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Distibute Test Cases to customers?

Typically in the past, my group has written cases for an audience of testers and internal employees. Recently, there has been an external request to use these test cases. We currently have a setup manual that also covers basic functionality.

Is it common QA practice to give external customers access to test cases?

Are there standards written for or against this practice?

Thank you for your much appreciated input. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Distibute Test Cases to customers?

Originally posted by BeachBug:

Are there standards written for or against this practice?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">In my experience it is not common practice.

There are no standards for or against this practice that I have ever seen.

In general, I would never distribute any work product to external customers, unless I planned for this in the beginning.

Given proper planning, I have written and distributed selected test plans, test cases, test results, bug reports, etc. in the past. I made sure they were properly "sanitized" for customer consumption.

It took longer, and involved more parties than typical testing. It was more of a "marketing" effort in my case.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

On various US DoD projects I've worked on, virtually all such documentation is distributed to the customer for their review and approval. In a few cases, the contract included the creation of user acceptance tests; but this was known up front and separate documents were created (and billed) for this, naturally re-using as much as possible from our regular test documentation.

While working in the Telecom industry during the height of the Y2K frenzy, we had to provide our Y2K test procedures and test results to some of our customers, but that was for them to review our Y2K program, not for them to run acceptance tests, so nothing was done to customize them (with the possible exception of deleting some proprietary info).
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.&lt;/i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you all for your comments this has definitely given me some food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by BeachBug:
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">All I can say is that with the companies I have worked for, it is not, on average, a common practice. That said, I have been in places that have done it. In fact, in one place (an ERP vendor) we wrote a front-end tool that allowed our customers to not only look at test cases but also add to them (based on user expertise) and those could be converted into automated tests as well. At another (Chicago Board of Trade), distributing the test cases was required. Our user base had to be allowed to execute all tests that we were planning to run or were currently running against the system. If you work at game-related companies that design level editors or graphics engines, often you have to distribute all test cases to the game company that wants to purchase or lease the engine.

Also keep in mind that User Acceptance Testing or Pilot Testing or even some aspects of Simulation Testing may involve certain customers going through your product with a select group of scenarios and/or test cases.