Thread: IEEE Membership

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

IEEE Membership

I was browsing the IEEE site and saw that they offer membership. I thought I'd check it out. It appears that the only requirement is that you pay money and have a background in the technical field.

I have a lot of respect for the IEEE standards and the people who develop them, but I'm totally surprised that it seems that just about anyone can be a member of this association. Or am I reading it wrong? http://services1.ieee.org/membersvc/.../mem_intro.htm

Is anyone here a member and what value do you see in it?

------------------
    -- Jean

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    Margaret Mead
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: IEEE Membership

I am a member. The value is that you can get the standard docs for a discount. The problem is that you can never really know which groups you should join. If you are a Software person they all seem to cover usefull although similar topics. You really have to check them out in detail before you can tell if you've got the right group. I haven't found any short term memberships so that you can check thier usefulness before getting a full membership.

------------------
    hhjj
    SQA to all & to all clean code

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The groups that I am referring to are at times cryptic in their self description text and only after reviewing the magazines they offer do you realize you've joined an incorrect group.

I am happy to recieve the information you offer on what would possibly be a good magazine choice.

I am sure that you did not mean to question my technical or professional prowess. I was a member of IEEE in the past and chose to let it lapse. I have recently rejoined (2 months ago) and thus far they are not proving the most useful site. In my search for data (to develop a QA process for my company) they have only served as a means of locating document designs and the most generic definitions and standards. Very few of the data queries I made there have were painless. If a repository site such as theirs is to be useful the retrieval of information should be more accurate and dependable. While documents, once found, do tend to be useful the activity of wading through several pages of non-related text is not pleasant. At this time, if I were still a teacher, they would barely pass.

------------------
    hhjj
    SQA to all & to all clean code

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am a member of IEEE (have been for just under six years) and I think it has been worth it, for the most part. There are different levels of membership so while anyone can be a certain type of member, not just anyone can be all types of member. Quoting the Membership page:

"Technical and non-technical applicants who would benefit by membership and participation in the IEEE enter as Associate members.

Member and Senior Member grades recognize those who have achieved professional proficiency, as demonstrated by degrees received and/or work experience. IEEE Fellow grade is reserved for those members with unusual distinction in the profession and is conferred only by invitation of the Board of Directors."

The standards committees are a different issue. You can see that here.

Personally I highly recommend the magazine IEEE Software. That is usually the one I recommend to people who are in QA, development, or testing who plan to look at some material from the IEEE. You also get the Spectrum magazine as a free part of the subscription service, which is kind of nice as well.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Jean,
    Did you ever become a member of IEEE? Our QA department is ramping up nicely and I'm in an information gathering phase. I've been testing for 7 years, and QA'ing for about 3. I'm constantly looking for ways to gather more information. A membership to IEEE sounds like a good idea, but I'm hesitant to shell out the membership fee. My fear is the value I'll receive compared to the $$ I shell out wouldn't be worth it. Your thoughts?

-DKR-

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have been an IEEE memeber, let it lapse, renewed, and am letting it lapse again. I even paid for it myself the second time around!

I just could not justify the outlay in $ for payback. The magazines are nice, but did not provide much relevant information for the cost. At least not to the world of softare QQ or QC.

One good thing, my 14 year old got a charge out of the "geek" magazines dad was getting. He actually read a couple of the Spectrums and enjoyed them. However, there was not enough in them to hold his interest enough - he agreed when he saw the cost, that lapsing was the right move.

Very generic documents. Difficult to navigate. Enough.

------------------
    Michael L. Hovan
    Michael L. Hovan
    mrschovan@verizon.net