Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ideas/thoughts about proposing a vision doc for automated testing environment.

Hi All,

I have been working using WINRUNNER for the past 6 months. I have idea of using other mercury tools like test director and load runner. Recently my boss asked me to present a write-up that defines what vision I have about having automated testing environment in the company. Like explaining about what the tool does and how the tools are integrated with each other. What server configuration is required for the tools? i.e. the hardware environment. What are the long term benefits? The company already had the tools but no one has been using efficiently and effectively. The document should be able to explain the benefits of having an ideal automated testing environment that reduces manual testing efforts and brings more coordinated & well managed efforts. What the document should not explain the coding methodology & standards, as that will be covered in another document.
    So anyone who has already done the above sort of efforts can share his/her ideas.
    Eagerly looking forward to your replies.
    Thanks in advance

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Ideas/thoughts about proposing a vision doc for automated testing environment.

We did a cost benefit analysis on Mercury tools. Which included Test Director, WinrUnner and LoadRunner. The first thing you have to do is define your scope. What do you envision these tools being used for. These tools can take you from Requirments Managment, to Test Case Development, to Script Automatation (performance and functional). From there you will need to determine how many projects or people would be using these tools in the company. You may need to interview people if they don't use them now to see if they have a need for these tools.
    Once you have that information contact Mercury sales to get the cost information for the licensing and support dollars you will need to spend. This is going to be one of the most critical things the "higher ups" will look at, expecially in this market.
    Then you should put together an implementation plan which would include any additional hardware you would need to service these tools. For example Test Director 7.0i requires IIS. Or you would need a data server to house scripts, result files, requirement docs, etc.
    There's a lot involved here hopefully I gave you some direction.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Ideas/thoughts about proposing a vision doc for automated testing environment.

Thanks for your response. Well my company has aleardy purchased the mercury tools. 3 floating TD lice. and 5 users license for WR.

See below listed items that I am going to work on for my vision doc.

The testing infrastructure includes:
    Test Plan (TD storage for such test plan)
    Test cases (TD does provide this feature)
    Baseline test data
    A process to refresh or roll back baseline data
    Dedicated test environment, i.e. stable back end and front end
    Dedicated test lab
    Integration group and process
    Test case database, to track and update both automated and manual tests
    A way to prioritize, or rank, test cases per test cycle
    Coverage analysis metrics and process
    Defect tracking database
    Risk management metrics/process (McCabe tools if possible)
    Version control system
    Configuration management process
    A method/process/tool for tracing requirement to test cases
    Metrics to measure improvement

Most probably I am passing the above items as my start point to the management and have them know that the above can be achieved with mercury tools integration or not.
    Any thoughts on that.

------------------