| || |
Just a little tale of bureaucracy gone wild.
I have a current NZ work visa, single entry.
My company has made me redundant, starting 2nd July, with 4 week lieu of notice. I also have 7 days leave owing (plus redundancy package).
I decided to go on holiday abroad for 3 weeks, starting the sunday after I finish at work.
So, I go and explain this to NZ immigration.
As I will still be working until 2nd, they will not give me visitor visa.
As I will not be working when I come back on 22nd, they will not make my work visa re-entry.
I thank them for their help (maybe showing a little frustration after waiting from 6 a.m. until 11.30 a.m.), and say OK I'll get a visitor's visa when I re-enter NZ (which I'm entitled to as a british Subject).
So, they then contact my soon to be ex employer and state they are putting me on the immigration suspect list.
They have on record that I have worked here for 5 years non-stop, own a house here, have been paying top rate tax for 5 years, work in IT where they state they have a shortage and need new immigrants, have been working on systems that sell abroad and bring valuable income into the country.
Obviously, I can't be the type they want to attract and keep!
Venting over. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Re: NZ Immigration
You should see how Customs works. I had to send some processor boards to Canada for retro fit.
The Canadian Customs would not let them into the country until the Australian Customs would issue an export lisence. Guess what ... The Australian Customs would not issue an export lisence until the Canadian customs issued an import lisence. What really confused Customs was this concept that the boards would go to Canada and then come back, Like a holiday, so in practice they were not really being exported or imported.
Also a friend of mine got held up in NZ customs as he had to carry a Crypto Board to NZ for a defense project. When he got to Customs they wanted to open the bag (You need a Secret Celearance to do this.... need to know 007 type one). When explained this they wanted to x-ray it, being a $50K board with EPROMS on it..... that wasn't going to happen wither. Had to postpone that trip and delay the project by a month while they could resolve this.
This was over 10 yrs ago, I would hate to think how they react these days.