Thread: Online Music

Basking Ridge, NJ USA

Online Music

I have recently discovered live365. I am in heaven!!!!!

Right now I am listening to Teen Idol Christmas Music.

The Beatles recorded "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" to the tune of "Help." It is a riot!!!

Are you allowed to listen to music at work? If so, what stations do you listen to?

JRica, CSTE
    Senior QA Analyst Lead
    Senior SQA Analyst

Re: Online Music

At this client, no.

When I am at my home office I tend to have some old sci-fi movie projected onto the whiteboard on the side wall from my direct TV link up. It seems to distract people who come in to see me, but my officemate and I normally don't even notice that it's on.

It's a running joke - my boss wanders in...

Boss - "Hey, what are you guys watching?"
    Us - "uhhh - <movie name> I think"
    Boss - "that doesn't look like <movie name>."
    Us - "Oh, well that is what I turned on when I got in this morning."
    Boss - "It's 3pm"
    Us - "Oh, no wonder I'm hungry. We're going to lunch, want us to leave this on for you?"

Scott Barber, Sr. Performance Engineer
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Vancouver, BC, Canada

I found the local college station online so that's what I mostly listen to. Will pick from any of the low bandwidth station from shoutcast depending on my mood (gangsta rap when I'm feeling "rebellious", industrial or jazz when I just need noise to distract me from a boring job, classical when I need to concentrate). A co-worker strongly recommended radio paradise (also on shoutcast) but when I was listening to it the other day, it was mostly bland "adult" pop (U2, REM, that sort of thing). She said the playlist changes a bit and it's usually a little more interesting.

Gabba Gabba Hey

The only time we really were allowed to have streaming media come in here was after September 11. I was listening to WNEW/WJFK.

Normally, I have about 2 GB of mp3s on my hard drive and I listen to them through out the day.

WinAmp. Llama Tested. Mother Approved.
    Jordan Gottlieb
    President, Charlotte Mercury User Group
    Qualitech Solutions, Inc.
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

York, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom

We're not allowed to keep MP3s on our hard drives or stream radio stations, but a lot of people listen to portable radios through headphones, though we have the occasional mini-disc or cassette tape freak.

I burned a bunch of CDs from my home MP3 collection (nearly 3,000 now) and brought them to work.

Currently I'm listening to Barber's Adagio for Strings...in CHORAL form.

Des Moines, IA, USA

I have all of my CDs converted to files on my computer. It's MUCH easier to carry a laptop than 400-500 CDs. :-) I'm up to almost 14 gigs of music now.

My day begins with a cup of coffee, QAForums, and Jethro Tull. Day after day after day .... then as the day proceeds I move on from classic rock to metal and heavy stuff. But all of this is on my machine. There's so much of it that I dont get time to stream.

never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Pune, Maharashtra, India

Loads of mp3s circulate around the office here. I have a choice of some 20 network shares that have every possible music genre from the Gypsy Kings to Mohammed Rafi. I listen to beethoven.com most of the time. Europaplus.ru is another favorite though - helps me pick up some Russian and listen to music at the same time.

Suresh Nageswaran, CQA, CSTE
    Lead Consultant
    Kanbay Inc.
    Pune, India.