Thread: QA/QC vs Dev

QA/QC vs Dev

I did a couple of searches and didn't find anything so I apologize if this is a repeat.

What are your favorite "me vs them" stories? In particular are there any glaringly obvious defects you've encountered where you just couldn't convince the developer that it was important? The more comedy the better.

One of my favorites was working with a group that was new to having a test team review their work. I spent at least 15 minutes trying to explain why the app shouldn't crash when putting letters into a birthdate field.

This particular developer was adamant that the users just shouldn't do that. Basically implicating them for the error. Others tried to explain to me that since the customers had not complained about it that it wasn't really a problem.

It took a while and we butt heads frequently, but the dev team did come around and realize that my work was for their benefit as well.

Re: QA/QC vs Dev

One person on my team was testing a new Troubleshooting feature, which attempted to rank similar items together on a single page, based on their "relatedness".

The feature had no written requirements at all, and was only recently implemented and deemed "testable".

Some of the results produced by this feature were seemingly unpredictable.

So he wrote an issue report demonstrating what appeared to be totally inconsistent results.

The developer replied this way:

"Rankings are not human understandable. Don't try. Operates as designed. Not a bug."

Bear in mind that this was an Architect-level developer, not some Entry-level coder.

Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

What a gem!

That is a peach Joe. And now I wanna know the response!

From a slightly different angle:

Test logged a bug after a Euro-conversion dry run. Transforming ~2,000 rows of balanced transactions of German Deuchmark data into Euros had led to an imbalance. I think it was E 0.02. The conversion routine was supposed to check before and after balances, and where the translations had led to small rounding differences, an extra balancing transaction should have been created. Test knew this, the bus report said something like:" Account xyz had a zero balance before conversation, now mistakenly shows 0.02". [obviously this is from a few years ago and I'm paraphrasing].

The developer, rather than check why the transforming scripts hadn't accounted for the balancing, add code to the UI:

if ( balance-on-screen == 0.02)
    balance-on-screen = 0.00

I think the tester spotted that the UI had been released to 'fix', rather than a script and smelt a rat.

[ QUOTE ]
    That is a peach Joe. And now I wanna know the response!

[/ QUOTE ]
    After I spoke with the Product Manager (who laughed and told me that he never actually expected to ship that feature) my response was "Uhm Ok", and we stopped testing it.

As I always say "If there are no requirements, then any solution will suffice." As long as the system didn't crash, I decided it was "good enough" in this case.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

[ QUOTE ]
    if ( balance-on-screen == 0.02)
    balance-on-screen = 0.00

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that the tester immediately ran a test which produced a 0.03 variance, thus failing the verification of the fix?
    Joe Strazzere

We were testing a CD writer back around 1993 and wrote up some test cases. One test case went like this: "When the writer is plugged in, powered on, and the drawer is closed, the eject button shall open the drawer."

Someone with a sense of humor wrote up one to check the other side of the logic: "When the writer is not plugged in, the eject button shall do nothing."

Then someone with an even greater sense of humor wrote a defect against the latter, implying that they discovered some sort of phantom energy source that allows unplugged appliances to function. I recall we had some fun with that one, trying to convince the engineering team that it was an actual defect.
    The worst form of failure is the failure to try.

We had a bug reported some years back on a mobile device that on power on put the following text on screen;

Husky Hunter, press any key to continue

The correct message, following feedback from support about a client claiming the device kept powering off for no reason, should have read,

Husky Hunter, press any key, except the big red key marked power, to continue

We also had further support issues from users looking for the any key.

I used to work for a company that did weekly reviews with QA and tech support where we were "allowed" to interface with the developers.

Frequently issues would get sent back to us with the tag WAD on them. The developers had become so accustomed to using the outcome result of "working as designed" that they were refusing to type it out any more.

I had one particular bug that stumped every new tech support person and caused them to list it as a bug. Everyone thought the software should behave one way but it actually behaved another. About every 3-4 months we'd hear the same frustrated developer explain it again to the new person that it's a feature, not a problem... and we'd move on with life.

Well, the first month or so that I moved on from tech support and into QA, my replacement ran into this bug... which was immediately kicked back as WAD.

I'd reopen it and beg for attention only to get shot down with another WAD.

So it went for about 3 weeks. WAD-WAD-WAD.

So I simply replied on week 4 with DS.

"What the heck does DS mean?" I was asked? It means your design sucks.

Finally the communications channel was opened. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]