SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Burned on Mail in Rebate

I bought a monitor from Microcenter, mailed in my receipt - complete with copy of UPC code on the box - followed all the detailed instructions. Two months later - no check in the mail. This is the second time it's happened to me from the same company. I called, and waited on hold for an hour before giving up. Anyone else been ripped on a mail in rebate? What did you do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Burned on Mail in Rebate

Assuming you have followed the additional instructions (usually provided) for the eventuality of "if you have not received your rebated by ... then ...", shrug, move on and try not to buy anything rebate-related from the same supplier. They have your paperwork, they make the rules, they write the checks. If they choose to stiff you, I wouldn't count on any kind of leverage (what kind is there?) to help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have had issues in the past, but I usually order through Tiger Direct. They have a deal where if there is a rebate offered, and the vendor doesn't come through, they will cover the cost.

There is a limit on the number of times a year you can use the offer, but it helps in situations like that.

I have been stiffed, around Christmas last year I ordered a bare bones system, sent in all the information like you and they reported online that I had forgotten to include the receipt. I knew I hadn't as I copied it all, but they wouldn't accept different. All I could do is shrug it off and then not order from them again - the one time I go outside of Tiger Direct and I get burned. Sucks because just as Peter said - they have the paperwork, and they write the rules.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Its why I at least start with the online rebates first, that way you can check the status of it after you send in your paper copies. Which they still require...though why I never understood, as they have my receipt and record of purchase on the computer. They can maintain my mailing address from 12 years ago but not my purchase info?!?!

Lame

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You're also welcome to file reports with their local Better Business Bureau, state's attorney general office, and you can always slam them on online review sites like resellerratings.com, etc.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Its why I at least start with the online rebates first, that way you can check the status of it after you send in your paper copies. Which they still require...though why I never understood, as they have my receipt and record of purchase on the computer. They can maintain my mailing address from 12 years ago but not my purchase info?!?!

Lame

- M

[/ QUOTE ]

There was an email address field in the paperwork I had to send in. My online status: "Your rebate is valid and is scheduled for final processing.". The only mail I've gotten, however, is more advertisements with mail in rebates! Why do they require you to mail in the receipts? Because most people don't bother - and now I see why. The whole thing is a scam. The advertised price included the mail in rebate - which I didn't notice until I was at the register paying for it. At least I learned my lesson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I avoid anything with a rebate. (Even a tax "rebate") I've been ripped off by those enough times as it is. I'm just not going to do it any more.

"In Store" rebates are the exception.

MArk B.
    If you're a slave to your free associations, does it automatically become something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Almost all the rebates I have claimed (mail-in or online) have been honored (say, 1 in 100 turned sour). The thing to remember is that the PURPOSE of a rebate claim is to get your contact details. If you don't like that, then don't claim rebates. But as for dishonored rebates? Almost none (and I claim a lot).