Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Egyptian Pyramids

They are among the largest constructions ever built. From where the Kings of Egypt would have got the slaves who constructed those pyramids? I am wondering of those slaves and the country they belonged to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Egyptian Pyramids

there is no clear answer. one theory is that enslaved jews built them. another theory is that it was egyptian slaves/workers.
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Indeed. It it even an established fact that they were slaves? When an all-powerful king tells you you have been recruited into this year's slab-hauling team, would you be inclined to say "er, no, actually I was planning onb being a fisherman"? Slavery in our modern usage implies shackles and ownership of humans etc. I suspect it was more a matter of terrified obedience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well if you are willing to go with the biblical account... overseers w/ whips + no pay other than basic food/lodging would seem like slavery to me

There is always the alien theory... but I think they would be able to build something more interesting than tetrahedrons in the middle of the desert
    "I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody." -- Toledo, Ohio, Oct. 12, 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It's possible that in the future, people working in jobs so that they can obtain lifesaving medical treatment will be perceived as slavery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Will they be whipped if they decide not to do it?
    "I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody." -- Toledo, Ohio, Oct. 12, 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Well if you are willing to go with the biblical account... overseers w/ whips + no pay other than basic food/lodging would seem like slavery to me

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's true of the Hebrew slaves. But the Bible doesn't say anything about them buiding the pyramids - they were primarily brickmakers, apparently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Will they be whipped if they decide not to do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just killed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    But the Bible doesn't say anything about them buiding the pyramids

[/ QUOTE ]

In that period, the pyramids might not be named as 'pyramids'.

I think Bible says that Israel raised a great heap of stones over a dead body. yes it is. (Joshua 7:26). Why should not these great heap of stones be pyramids? What you people think about this?

I am not here to preach about any religion. Who knows, Joshua 7:26 may be the only evidence to find the construction workers of great pyramids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hmm. I think the text (and its context) makes a very weak case for any relationship between Egyptian pyramids and Israelites - slaves or otherwise. What is described is very different from a masonry construction (of huge dimensions), into which the body was placed.

For one thing, to the best of my knowledge, the Israelites didn't practice embalming, and Achan was a member of the tribe of Judah. So what would they have done with his body while they were building his "pyramid?" Piling up rocks over his corpse (which I imagine was to keep wild animals away as much as anything else) seems much more likely.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast