Thread: Undertime

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Undertime

We've all heard about the dreaded "Overtime" In fact, most of us work it on a regular basis. And then, even still, many of us never see that time back, it's just "part of the job." So I was thinking today. If a project was brought in under the schedule given, then should all team members be given "Undertime" and be allowed to take a week, or whatever, off?
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Undertime

And get paid less as a result?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hmmmm, I would have to say no. Not in the case where overtime is not paid out and/or is assumed.

I'm pretty sure that taking less money is not an option.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Agreed. If you are exempt and not being paid to work overtime (though unless it's tied to pay, the very word "overtime" doesn't really have a meaning), then you shouldn't be docked for undertime.

It's not common, but from time to time I've been places that were amenable to people taking comp time when a crunch had required them to - say - come in over the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    It's not common, but from time to time I've been places that were amenable to people taking comp time when a crunch had required them to - say - come in over the weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our company practices this policy. It's up to the employees to request the comp time but, for the most part, it's given without gripe or complaint.
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yeah, see, where I work it actually states the amount of hours I work in a given week and then has a sub-statement that I may be required to work additional hours under certain circumstances.

It's a little vague, but it does give the impression that there will be no compensation or lieu time given.

Now with that all said, I am given lieu time for the most part. There are times that I just stay late because I'm a good worker though and I love my job.
    Brent
    --------------------
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We've got the same statement on the lines of "perform other duties as the Product Development Manager requires."

BUT...again, our company, while we have our issues, is actually a pretty decent company to work for.

We ARE hiring, BTW. ;-)
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

LOL, I drove to PA from here for the Pocono 500. Let me say, I don't think the commute would work for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Brent
    --------------------
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've been in places where it was considered a give and take situation on the time. My boss knew that at times the project would have to work longer/overtime to complete tasks, but in return also had confidence in the team to know that we would be there to get the job done and consider this when working from home or taking an early day.

Really depends on the place or the boss. My last boss was a great person and I learned a lot from her (more what to do than what not to do as it normally happens). If you took your job professionally and were there when needed, she would give you the leeway to do those "life" things you needed to get done that overtime eat into.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've been in places where basically you could take a little extra time off, to make up for putting in extra hours. But then it is assumed you will be available to make the project, but if its done early I don't know. Maybe a celebration day off site for the team, but usually we have so much in the pipelines that if one project finishes early another is waiting.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast