Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Holy bloatware, batman!

Doing a bit of work on Windows CE a couple of weeks ago, I found that i needed a new SDK for windows mobile 6.0. No problemo, I think, I'll download it from MSDN. Nope, need an updated VS2005, and I don't fancy a 3GB download. A good excuse to update my media perhaps, so I get onto my software sales guy to buy VS2005. He says, I could buy VS2005, but with VS2008 just around the corner, why not by an MSDN subscription. Ok, says I, pays the man, and am told to expect an email from Microsoft with shipping details. Get some emails from MS, fill out some forms, get some more emails congratulating me on my purchase, fill out some more forms, my software guy gets some emails, he fills out some forms, and I am assured my VS2005 is in the post.

That was three weeks ago. I got a box in the post this morning containing three briefcases full of DVDs. One hundred and seventeen DVDs. I have Vista 64 bit edition in turkish, VS Team Studio in arabic, SQL server 2003 in Polish. After much searching, I find and install my Windows Mobile 6.0 SDK, and what does it tell me to do? Yep, download the updated version from the web.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Holy bloatware, batman!

Dear Lord!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Good grief Shane! Do you need medical assistance? I wonder if we need a metric for this sort of stuff - not the maintainability metric? How about a personal trauma metric where the amount of trauma can be used to penalize the vendor/supplier and/or manufacturer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sure, but don't you have to download updates for all of Microsoft's software as soon as you get it? I just thought that was the norm.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------