Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Most inept support people ever

Ok, I worked support for a long time, so I usually give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to support issues.

However, I recently had a problem with my web host and this is an account of their support. First, every index page in all of my sites was replaced with a hacked page. Ouch. I didn't have backups for some of my stuff either, which sucked, but was ultimately my fault.

Secondly, their name servers were down for 3 weeks (like up for an hour, down for 3) and every time I emailed support they gave me the standard "It looks ok here, try clearing your cache" answer.

Now, three weeks later, I've been somewhat stable for the past couple days. Unfortunately it looks like their resulting changes from an upgrade to PHP5 or combination of that with server changes broke all my damn blogs.

I did my (their) research and told them exactly what the issue was and how to fix it. In addition to that I also gave them the exact sites that I needed fixed. It was a memory allocation error and required that something be changed in the php.ini file.

First attempt was no good, despite them saying it was. So I emailed them back and said it still wasn't good. Then they tried again, and failed again. In my next email I said look at domain "X" and you'll see this error. Their response was that it seemed to be working.... And it was! Wow, how did that happen all of a sudden? However, I could not log into my administration side of the blog, again memory allocation. So I email them back again. This morning I finally find it fixed. However, what are the chances that all my other sites are also fixed? Ooooo, yeah I should have known better.

Anybody else have any stories of terribly inept support people?
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Most inept support people ever

ummn - you sound like you have the same ISP host company I do!

still having issues with my ISP company upgrading to PHP5 and MYSql 5 at the same time. Although I haven't had too many problems, but I just no longer go through their support as it is a waste of time.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Welcome to my world, as well performance testing we do monitoring as well and if I had a penny for everytime I had that same conversation as well as mysterious fixes I would be retired playing shffle board with rich.
    But in the end doesn't it all come down to BEER? Beer is the ultimate answer to all questions in the universe so yes the answer to your question is BEER.
    lgeisz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tony, I totally agree. Unfortunately I don't think I've found a host yet who is really all that great. I mean until you get into dedicated hosting I think that you are pretty much the bottom of the barrel, and I'm not paying like $100 a month just so someone will give me a response that isn't BS, lol.

Larry, It's a good thing you're in Sun City. You don't even need to retire to play shuffle board. The best part is that you can probably beat most of the old people, which is awesome!
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am hoping in the future just to move around the corner to Sun City in a decade or two [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Actually brent - I am paying $100+ a year. Although what I am getting for it is phenominal! (and there are 2 domain names in there with privacy as well)

3TB bandwidth usage per month
    300G online storage
    650 pop email addresses
    75 MYSql databases

To be honest, the only real problem I have had is when they chose to push the MYSql and PHP5 upgrades at the same time. They have been decent over the last 4 years.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My hosting company has been pretty good, they do run PHP5 and MySQL5 (I think) for quite awhile now. I think their support though is in Hong Kong, which was always amusing to me as I would enter a support ticket, and the next morning its resolved.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

300G online storage
    650 pop email addresses
    75 MYSql databases

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you Tony! That is unbelievable. Who are you with? I mean if I'm not getting support then I might as well get more disk space.

Right now I'm on a host for $10 a month and that gets me:
    Unlimited domains
    4GB HD
    30GB Bandwidth
    Unlimited MySQL (But HELLO! Kinda limited by space) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Is this one of those buddy deals? Or is this offer open to the public?
    Brent
    --------------------
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This is what I use...

http://www.register.com/product/hosting_details.rcmx

I have had but one issue in 2 years and it was resolved by telephone within 10 minutes of my call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

300G online storage
    650 pop email addresses
    75 MYSql databases

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you Tony! That is unbelievable. Who are you with? I mean if I'm not getting support then I might as well get more disk space.

Right now I'm on a host for $10 a month and that gets me:
    Unlimited domains
    4GB HD
    30GB Bandwidth
    Unlimited MySQL (But HELLO! Kinda limited by space) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Is this one of those buddy deals? Or is this offer open to the public?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a buddy deal -

www.powweb.com

to put honesty first, go to forums.powweb.com and you can read all the postings to get a feel for it all. But with all discussion boards, the contributers are only those usually that have bone to pick and you get very few of "good job" posts, but they say that the members posting on the forum is only a fraction of a percent of all those using the service.

What I like about POWWEB is they do a single plan thing where everyone gets the same thing at the basic level. I pay by the year and get a break, but I think they are down to 7.77/month for the one-plan I mentioned.

If you do mention me (I'd get you the info if you wouldn't mind), I do get a break if you sign up (few dollars, but enough to cover my next year of one of my domain registratiosn) -- but other than that I get nothing from this place.

like I said, they did have a little hiccup with the upgrade, but more of a growing pain than anything else.

You get the one domain based on your singup info (<name>.powweb.com), but they do decently priced real domain registrations with privacy. I have two and I am linking another one in to their hosting.

PM me if you wish for anything else if you want to know. I'll send you the site information I host so you can see the performance if you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Tony, I'll check it out. The HackerSafe Banner is Huge for me. My current host is giving me a month free for all the hassle the caused, so I've got some time to shop. PM me your info and I'll have a look at them tonight.
    Brent
    --------------------
    --------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast