Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Scientists Struggle to Prove Evolution

Is this study to further the arguement for evolution? Baby-Talkin' Monkies

There have certainly been better arguements other than this. I mean if you haven't convinved everyone yet then just give up. At least you have some people. I don't think we really need to draw any more parallels to monkies.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Scientists Struggle to Prove Evolution

That's what I've always thought: it's all about the grunts and girneys.

Coincidentally, one of the news sites today has an item about monkeys in Africa or somewhere, who routinely make obscene gestures to human females (but don't to men). The origin of misogynism, perhaps? (The article didn't, by the way, describe specifically WHAT obsene gestures, but given that monkeys - usually - are unclothed, one can imagine that they have a fair amount of scope for such activity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This baby talk is not exclusive to monkeys and humans. The ducks in my back yard have a special language when communicating with their young. And believe me, they listen, unlike humans, they seem to learn from other's mistakes.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There was a really fascinating podcast about morality on a program called RadioLab that Mrs. AOQA downloaded and played in the car last weekend.

The basic premise of the program was that a lot of "moral" behavior is genetically precoded into humans and is also exhibited in other primates. There was an interview with a... monkey scientist (zoologist) who has shown reliably that in a communal setting monkeys (chimps, I think?) understand the concept of fairness, and there was a sociologist that proved that certain morally ambiguous situations are reacted to in the same way, universally, by everyone, independent of culture or upbringing.

Then they showed that more complex moral problems that cause these pre-coded reactions to run up against each other don't have these seemingly-arbitrary-yet-universal responses. So that's where the big difference, morally, between humans and monkeys kicks in. Interesting stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There are soooooo many monkey articles. I actually just saw another one that women were primarily attracted to men who had a "bulldog" facial structure like Will Smith or Brad Pitt. They actally track this back to cavemen even, and also make comparisons to chimps and how the female chimps react to this facial structure.

I think this is all a ploy to pick up women. Think about it, "I know you don't find me attractive, but that's because you're predisposed to think that people with 'bulldog' faces are attractive. Trust me, you definitely want to do it with me."

This has to be the reason. I can think of no other reason how a study like this could get funding.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So this is not unlike Bud and Art talking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I heard that on NPR a while ago. It was really interesting. The discussed how primates have a basic understanding of morality, and also discussed the following mental exercise :

Scenario 1 : You're standing next to a train track, and a little further up the track, it forks. On the left fork is 1 man working. On the other fork 10 men are working. You know you can't yell or get to any of the men in time to warn them about an oncoming train that you've just noticed. In front of you is a lever. If you pull the lever the train will be redirected to the left fork, killing 1 man. If you don't pull the lever, the 10 men on the right fork will die. What do you do?

100% of the people that performed in the exercise said they'd pull the lever. Simple math right? 1 man dies instead of 10.

However, upon changing the scenario in the following way, the responses were much different.

Scenario 2 : Instead of there being a forked track, you're on a straight piece of track. A train is coming, and a man is standing next to you. Further down the track, out of shouting distance are 10 men working on the track. You know that if you were to push the man standing beside you onto the tracks that the train would stop thus saving the 10 workers. Would you push him?

Just about everyone taking part in the study with this scenario said no. Logically, it's the same thing. Sacrifice 1 for 10. But for some reason, human morality doesn't respond to this scenario in the same way.

The real interesting thing is that during the study, the people being tested with each scenario were having their brain activity monitored. Different areas of the brain "lit up" when dealing with scenario 1 and 2, indicating a physiological element exsists in regard to morality. (This also helps explain why primates show similar morality.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In scenario 2, I would more likely jump in front of the train myself than push someone else. Then I would have saved 11 people. So how many virgins is that worth?
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I forgot a detail in Scenario 2. The man standing next to you was a VERY fat man, and only he would be capable of stopping the train.

However, your virgin comment was classic. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

IF the man was fat enough to stop a train, I doubt I could push him in front of it. How about if I ask him to push me in front of the train?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast