Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Java In Nuclear Reactors?

This is pretty funny (or scary)

I always thought this excerpt from the Java license was odd:

"not designed or intended for use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility."

So it made me do a double-take when I read this:
    Sun Solaris Grid Powers Next Generation Nuclear Reactor Design from the Department of Energy

from the article:

"The solution includes more than 230 Sun Solaris Servers powered by AMD Opteron processors; and, more than 12 Terabytes of Sun StorEdge 6320 storage, the Solaris 9 operating system, Java Enterprise System and Java development software"

I guess the DOE likes to keep things exciting [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Java In Nuclear Reactors?

That is scarunny! I think it analogous to having a flight control system with Windows underneath.

Good eye!

Java meltdown?

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It used to be the rule that languages which run on an interpreter (java virtual machine) can't be used for mission critical systems such as flight control and nuclear facilities. My guess is that the java is being compiled into an executable instead of the traditional class files. There must be a compiler like this for Solaris. Any Solaris java programmers out there to comment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    My guess is that the java is being compiled into an executable instead of the traditional class files. There must be a compiler like this for Solaris. Any Solaris java programmers out there to comment?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, there are native java compilers for Solaris (rarely ever used in practice), but I don't see what that would buy you.

Also, I doubt you can use natively compiled code with Sun's Grid system, as natively compiled code wouldn't work in a heterogeneous environment (which is sorta the basis of grid computing).

So I would bet the DOE is using Java on a VM. Technically the link I sent says they are only using it for "design", so its not really mission critical.. I just thought it was funny that the Java license specifically makes reference to NOT doing this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg