Thread: Sick Leave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sick Leave

I know different countries & cultures have different rules but what do you think is reasonable sick leave for someone in a calendar year.

We don't have set days that staff get per year whether sick or not.

Just wondering what people think would be standard/average individual sick days per year...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Sick Leave

As you have stated, rules vary. Obviously most people do not plan on getting sick. Realistically, how can any organization implement concrete rules? Any rule would tend to suggest that the organization has some deep understanding of illness cycles and the body's immune system, and - the threat conditions of the environment people are operating in.

I think it is a matter of "raised-eye-brows-level" which, varies by organization. I would guess three to five days a year. Beyond that, I believe eyebrows would raise incrementally from yellow to red flag level.

Personally, I plan on getting sick two days a year. I plan on illness the first day of sunny blue skies where the temp is .GTEQ. 55 deg F. I repeat this in the autumn when it appears Minnesota may be having a last gasp of good weather for the next 6 or 7 months. (I am serious).

(moving this to chit-chat forum)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As a contractor I think zero sick days is tolerable, any more is a disaster [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My company has a policy that says if you're sick, you're sick. And you're paid.

If, however, your sick time exceeds 3 "instances" in a 3 month period, a red flag goes up. One instance can span more than a day.

I think this is quite generous...

On a personal basis, if I exceed three "instances" in a year, I've had a Really Bad Year. I don't use sick time for personal days; no need, I usually have plenty of time banked to cover anything I want to do.

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We get 1.85 hrs per pay period. This amounts to 48.1 Hrs per year, or more simply 6 Days/year. This is with a maximum carry-over of 260 hrs per year. But we also have an undocumented rule, (you know, the old "Don't Ask Don't Tell" rule), that if you are at work for an hour or more, then the full day is counted as a work day against Admin Time. It's been this way for over 10 years and every one backs it up. It's just not in writing.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Where I work, there is no sick time. If you are sick and can't fill your monthly time with billable hours or "bench" time, you take vacation. Period.

[ 05-11-2006, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Darrel Damon ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by JakeBrake:
    Obviously most people do not plan on getting sick.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Some people do?! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Damian Synadinos:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Originally posted by JakeBrake:
    Obviously most people do not plan on getting sick.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Some people do?! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Hypochondriacs and me! As I stated, I plan on 2 sick days per year. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Some people have a tendency to be more "sickly" than others. A red flag I look for is how often people are sick on Fridays and Mondays or on days immediately before and after holidays.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Where I am now, I get 5 days sick time. I have to take them in a minimum of 4 hour increments. Anything beyond 5 days, I would have to dig into my 3 personal days or 10 days of vacation. That is the official line.

For me and a couple of others that have proven to be hard workers, we are allowed to make up the time which isn't a hard thing since as a whole I put in a minimum of 65-70 a week normally. I just work other days to make up the time if I don't alreaady have enough time in.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast