Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This came as a revelation to me

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1932952,00.asp
    I shall bear this in mind in future. It could even explain some of the responses we see here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: This came as a revelation to me

Some cultural training at my last job addressed that fact. You could ask an offshore team lead, "Will the work be done on time" and get a yes. You can then ask, "When will the work be done?" and get the date 2 weeks after the deadline. When you ask why the difference you get a long-winded convoluted answer that attempts to pass for logic but is more like trying to break the 400-yard dash world record running backwards.

The head wobbling thing is funny. I illustrated the before/after of cultural training in a status meeting one week with this story: Before cultural training, I was explaining something to a guy and he kept doing that wobble and I took it as impatience. I finally said, "Don't you tell me to hurry up. You WILL sit and listen to all of this, I don't give a crap how much you think you know." Whoops!

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"Overpromising is the most common problem." - This is true in all situations for anyone. We are a group of people (computer profession) who want to please (our parents, our friends, our colleagues, our bosses, our clients, and ourselves) and until we learn to say "No" effectively we will continue to get into trouble. It isn't an issue of being obstenant and combative, it is an issue of recognizing that we don't know what we don't know and saying "No" so that we don't set ourselves up for failure.

And it is not just the people in India that can get into this problem. I have worked with other people from Asia (Taiwan, Viet Nam, Japan), South America (Brazil), Africa (South Africa), U.K. (England) and the U.S. who have a mindset to please (myself included). I had to get a hard lesson in order for me to learn how to say "Yes" and "No" effectively without causing a conflict. It is a social skill that is not an easy one to learn, but needs to be learned.

Jim
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This was an interesting find through the article. Check this out: http://www.amidco.com/nweb/index.htm

Seems China is getting on par with India. Notice the picture in the upper left of the web page (the software development center in china). Can the cubes be any smaller? Talk about a Prarie Dog town.

Jim
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Small, hmm.

I just measured my cube. It's 7'6" x 6'. Along two adjacent sides is the customary L-shaped "shelf" that passes for a desk. And on that "shelf" are two desktops (and monitors, keyboards, mice and speakers) and a laptop (not to mention the most awful birds-nest of wires)

And I'm the MANAGER! <grin>

Actually, I'm of the school that believes that those that do the grunt work need grunt-worker's space. So it's more important that my testers have enough room (they typically have THREE desktops each). A nice office for me would be pleasant, but I'm not expecting one any time soon <smile>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What the heck is an "Autoobile"?
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Peter, you seem to be a reasonable manager, Well my manager here has a big roomy cubie to himself, whereas i have to share my cubie with another just because i happen to be a contractor.Real challenge is I have to be really conservative and imaginative in moving my chair around to make space to get up, making sure i dont injure the other guy lest he charges me for his medical payments.
    So i prefer sitting in the labs atleast no one has dared to challenge my space there yet.
    Cheers,
    Suresh

http://cognitive-content.blogspot.com

It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory -W Edwards Deming

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rest assured, Suresh, I'd make sure you had room to work - contractor or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Suresh,

I was a consultant for 6 years; I've had to work in a converted warehouse closet; in the hallway on a stool with no back, share office space with 3 other consultants, and all kinds of bizarre situations. It comes with the territory... Look at it this way - do you think they should treat you better than their own employees? How much money, time, or consideration do you think you're "owed" as a temporary employee? I've never been placed anywhere where consultants didn't get "whatever could be scrounged up" in terms of equipment and space. As far as your manager having a better spot - well, all I can say is that Rank Has Its Privileges. You would want them too if you were the manager. I have a big, roomy office. My staff have bigger cubes than Peter. I certainly don't feel guilty that consultants in much lower positions here for 6 months don't get the same equipment and space - we would need to expand our building and budgets by a factor of at least 20.

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This is the first place I've worked that everyone had an office to themselves. Mine is 10x10, one of the smallest and no window, but I'm still happy about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast